National Salvation Army Week

Depending on where you live, you may have noticed more attention on Salvation Army efforts this week. This is the 59th year of a week recognized in the US as National Salvation Army Week. It was first declared by President Eisenhower in 1954 as a time for Americans to consider what they can give to help others. It’s not about money, but giving from the heart, giving from your storehouse may it be time, talent or money.

It coincides with the Postal Food Drive that local food banks, many of them organized by a local Salvation Army unit. My mom organized that food drive many years in Yakima, WA and now my sister coördinates it. They are the primary food bank provider for the Valley. We were blessed with volunteers to help organize the hundreds of boxes of donated food when we were stationed in Gainesville, FL. Just one way for neighbors to help neighbors.

Some communities issue proclamations and many large communities host events. In our county, the Salvation Army hosted a large health fair today with many local providers offering free testing and screenings.

These events are just reminders of the varied services provided or coördinated by the thousands of Salvation Army units throughout the United States. Our mission statement is a clear reminder of why we do what we do:

“The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.”

Motivated by love. The love of God. Preaching His gospel of love through actions, actions of serving others to meet their needs in the name of Love without discrimination. May it always be so. And may through these acts of love may real Love be known.

28 thoughts on “National Salvation Army Week

1. Heidi

Very interesting. I didn’t know there was an official week. When I lived in a house, and not on wheels, I gave to the postal collection of canned goods, but didn’t connect it with Salvation Army. ‘In the name of love without discrimination’ should sound familiar, but it doesn’t. I’ve spent my whole life around ‘believers’ and never heard this phrase until SA. You are doing important work, my friend. Spreading the truth of love, relentlessly, sincerely and daily. I don’t know how you do it, but thank you on behalf of Christians who don’t believe discrimination is Christ-like.

1. Debby

Heidi, I can’t say for certain the SA is connected to the Postal Food drive in every community but I’d sure say most. Part of the basics for us. Thank you for your confidence. We’re a long way from always getting it right but I we’ve got the direction pointed in the right way.

2. Heidi

3. luluberoo

My best friend is a mail lady. She has to go back to the main post office several times on food collection day because she runs out of room in her mail truck!
    She tells me she collects the most food from the poorest communities. Maybe because they know what it is like to go hungry?

Walk a mile in the other guy’s shoes…right, Debby?

1. Debby

Interesting and humbling. I guess it goes along with the statistic on the Christmas red kettle collections being the most at Walmart. Looking around our neighborhood I didn’t see any other bags of food left out for the mail carriers.

Is this your new blog? You didn’t waste time getting that all set up and I love the name: just to be is a blessing. I’m going to it right now! Thanks, Lou!

4. luluberoo

Walk a mile in the other guy’s shoes…right, Debby?

5. katharinetrauger

Hi Debby! We did not know it was a special time for food collecting, either, but always keep a basket fairly filled at our church and today a lady had to decide whether to pay rent or eat, so we gave her a few canned goods and a box of gelatin powder. It wasn’t much but she did not want more. Their lives are always disrupted by wrong choices and the ones who have straiter lives are the ones who scramble to get subsistence. Still, someone must feed their poor little children.

1. Debby

Thank God for all the churches that keep those food pantries! I believe it’s the church that was intended to fill that gap anyway. Thankful more churches have been responding to that in recent years. Sounds like your church is part of that, Katharine.

6. katharinetrauger

7. Step On a Crack

I know that our mail person works EXTRA hard during the food drive. I leave something for her too; like soda or some such. Last year she told me that donations had dropped in the last few years. That made me sad. now I wonder if it is because our neighborhood is ‘gentrifying’ and there is more wealth and less poverty. I Love the history you give about the SA!

I keep wondering what to be when I grow up; when the Kid goes to college. I won’t go back to politics; my Mom Heart won’t allow the games. I want to be a priest.. we all know not to hold our breaths on that one.

I follow your journey with eyes of wonder. You and your work inspire me. I think I see your vocation as a template of sorts. You live a life of Service and Joy. Thank you for showing a way to live that is of use. I know you have a family connection and a deep commitment. Can a lay person work with the SA?

I adore you and your blog.

Love Jen

1. Debby

Jen, it’s been my experience that some of our best volunteers and employees have been of the Catholic faith. I think it’s because our faith strongly emphasizes compassion to the “least of these”. A new area for the Salvation Army has been an involvement in the human trafficking issues. I can see you digging into that if only to spread awareness and ignite action. Why don’t you go to http://www.sawso.org and check it out. I think that’s the link for that and some other missions.

Your enthusiasm is so contagious! Thank you for keeping the embers glowing.

1. Step On a Crack

I really do need to give my mother more credit: she was a social justice/ good works Catholic. It is a huge part of how I was raised and I choose parishes that focus on Doing not Talking.

Human trafficking! I need to look into the Salvation Army! Amazing what you are doing. I will go to the website as soon as dinner is started. Maybe being a priest is NOT in the cards I know there are other ways to be of service and this is a wonderful lead. I work with my church and the school and…. But need to start thinking about MY future too. I can not go back to politics. No way Jose. Social Service is where I need to end up. Thank you SO much! It is helpful to be thinking of MY life after the Kid flies the coop and remembering that I can be of use.

XOXO Jen

1. Debby

Jen, you choose the right thing. You chose to be there for the kid ;), you’ve chosen to break the cycle of addiction and abuse from your childhood. You will continue to choose wisely, my friend. I know the Voice who guides you! (Selfishly….I would LOVE for you to become involved in one of the Army’s missions. Then I could learn more from you!) xo

8. Step On a Crack

I adore you and your blog.

Love Jen

1. Debby

Your enthusiasm is so contagious! Thank you for keeping the embers glowing.

1. Step On a Crack

XOXO Jen

9. iamnotshe

I apologize for being so late here, my sweet, dear, generous of heart friend! I am in awe of all you do, and all that the Army does … forgive me if i’m speechless. I’m a wee bit on the pooped side. And there you are … selflessly giving all the time. Much love! Mel xo

1. Debby

Trust me, Mel, I’m not that self-less and I get plenty in return. You’re too sweet, always. xoxo

10. iamnotshe

11. judikruis

The William Booth quote/photo is so true. In our area the postal drive was for the SA too. Blessings to you all!

12. judikruis