You get what you p(r)ay for

I admit I’m not good at praying. Intentions are good, focus is not. I know what to do. I know I should write them out again like I did at one time. I know I should have a place, the same place, same time. I know it. I don’t do it.

I’m frugal. Too frugal. With life. With prayer. Where did I learn this habit of saving bits of things that don’t matter like the inside cardboard from new sheets? But throw away time I should spend writing my heart to God?

Someone once said ‘You get what you pay for’ and it must have rang true because now it’s accepted as truth. But do you get what you pray for? If you pray for nothing do you get nothing?

A few months ago I was praying more. There was a certain fervor to my prayers. Praying about God’s desire in where we’d be come June. Today. Some of our friends packed up the moving trucks and arrived in their new appointments yesterday. It could have been us so we prayed, looking for God’s plan. Hoping to get a glimpse and feeling him speak to us about staying here. It was our desire, was this His? Yes, the word given as clearly as any word to Henry.

Last week when I felt things falling in with the loss of so many strong men. Employees, friends, too many in a short time falling to relapse and in the midst of my sorrow I heard God say, ‘You got what you prayed for.”

No, no one prayed for failure or falling. But I did pray about staying here. And this comes with it. The longer you stay the more invested you get in people’s lives. The more you know their stories. The more you care. Is that what I prayed for? Surely not the pain of sorrow. But we got what we prayed for. And it’s good. Very good.

Yes, Lord, I, we, prayed for this. No, I wasn’t thinking all that would mean. But yes, I’ll take it. All of it. You said Your grace is enough and it has been. It will be.

There is good news on the horizon. When God’s grace is spilling over there will be good news. You are true to your promises. We get what we pray for. Are we ready to accept?

0 thoughts on “You get what you p(r)ay for

1. luluberoo

Just what I need today! I’ve been thinking a lot about how I allocate my time. What is really important? Faith, prayer, listening…there is no magic, We have to MAKE the time.

1. Debby

Lou, how many times I have to catch myself when I want to say I don’t have time. If I’m honest, rarely is that true. No magic, sigh. But we press on because it’s “doable”. Our counselor’s famous word πŸ˜€

2. iamnotshe

I need some sort of ritual myself around praying. I do a lot of, shall i call it, casual praying? I think about my friends, family, and say prayers for people i see who are suffering, for animals who are suffering, etc. HOWEVER, it’s just a lot of please God, watch over all who suffer. Nothing that is “on my knees” or specific. I know i don’t have to be on my knees … but i think God and I (or Higher Power and I) could benefit from a true connection. My casualness is probably what keeps my religion at arm’s length. Hmmm. Anyway, you have a way of writing that makes me “there with you”. Know what i mean. I feel the sorrow of losing friends, co-worker/friends, and the men. I’m praying for your men. I have a feeling about who may have gone out. God will protect them until they remember the clarity and health of sobriety. I have to believe that Debbie.

ALSO, hmm, lady, i’m frugal too! The paint. Honey, you will be amazed by the step up you’ll get just from getting the squeeze bottle paint. Much thicker. Pearl Art supplies store brand is not great, but it’s fairly inexpensive and it’s much better than the more liquidy paints. Also, at Amazon.com you can buy an 8-pack of “BASICS” which is pretty awesome, but doesn’t include a lot of variety for maybe $14.00! It’s a steal. The problem is there is a pre-mixed color, and usually painters want all the basics (not green, which is included in the basics) … but blue and yellow, so you can mix your own green. ANYHOW … just saying if you want to paint … go for the good stuff, you deserve it. From one frugal gal to another. Weren’t you raised in the Midwest with the rest of us good penny-wise chicks? xo mel

1. Debby

You’re so right, mel. About everything…the praying the paints. I do a lot of the “watch over” and “bless them” prayers. NOthing wrong with that. I just should be more intentional. You’ve struck a chord with me I don’t want to admit, but yes, my casualness is keeping me at arm’s length from God and all he wants to do. I’m SO glad you said that!

As for the paints…there’s a Pearl’s here in town. I’m so scared when it comes to all this. I want it to turn out “right” and have no inspiration other than what I see others do. That has always limited me from thinking of myself as creative. I need a guide! Boy, does that apply to all of my life! You’ve given me great encouragement but then that’s what you do πŸ˜€ xo

1. iamnotshe

I guess all praying is good. I’m having a hard time praying for someone who has hurt me as much as possible. These are the prayers that are important. I have a hard time forgiving hatefulness. I need a casual or formal prayer to pass through this. πŸ™‚ Sorry, not too inspiring … xo mel

1. Debby

Some prayers are harder to pray than others, mel. I’ve heard people say when they’ve prayed for others to change they usually find themselves changing for the good. There’s a verse that talks about rather than repaying hatred or other hurtful behavior with vengeance, we should repay with kindness because that’s like heaping burning coals on their head. Does that help? πŸ˜‰ It helps me to know I lower myself to return evil with evil. But it’s not easy. My buttons can get pushed and this Chihuahua has a mean bark! It’s a step, melis and we all start with the first step forward. xo

2. iamnotshe

I got the count wrong in my last post … it’s one step forward two steps back. I AM furious with bulimia though. I will not pray for it πŸ˜‰

3. Mrs F

during our appointment in Vancouver, my parents were asked to build a state of the art treatment center. When they were more then half way done, they started facing delays, arguments amongst the staff etc. One night out of frustration my dad, during a meeting, prayed “Lord, remove what stands in our way, be it people situations (etc)”. 5 weeks later we got farewell orders. He got what he prayed for πŸ™‚ With recent events, I’ve found myself thinking of that situation more and more.

1. Debby

Wow! That is so interesting and yes, does make us look more closely at things. Thank you, Mrs. F πŸ˜‰ for adding to the conversation. God is pretty amazing and that always tends to surprise us. I know the journey ahead of you will be one of those “surprised by God” paths. I pray it will bring you closer to his heart. I pray he gives you peace in knowing you are his and his will be done.

2. iamnotshe

Just thought i’d comment about how disagreements among people can make things a mess. I feel badly that your Dad, Mrs. F wasn’t able to finish his job because people started acting, well, like people … childish and all that.

1. Mrs F

Thankfully my dad had the type of personality that most anything would role right off him. He often told this story laughing at how he seemed to be the one getting in the way. As a pastor, he had lots of these kinds of stories and although I know that there were times when he was way beyond fed up, he wouldn’t have changed any of them for the world. He saw each of them as a learning experience. (He was much more “grown up” about those types of things then me lol)

1. Debby

Mrs. F, I know your reply is to Melis (you’ll find we have a sharing community here!) but that says a lot about your dad. I think his generation had a lot to teach us. I should have learned better from my parents attitude about that kind of thing too!

4. Debbie

Hey, I’m in Texas of all the places on the earth I didn’t want to be – so I get it!
    And, I got what I prayed for and so much more. In the weirdly, wild adventure, God has taken my parched soul to the desert and showered me with grace.

I can say with absolute certainty is that your men got what I prayed for for them. I prayed God would bless them with the very best people to be their shepherds.
    And God answered by keeping you and Henry right there!
    Your friend,
    Debbie

1. Debby

One of my prayer warriors, you are Debbie! I want to be like you when I grow up, k? πŸ˜€ love you, dear friend.

5. katharinetrauger

Loved this post, Debby. Very good insight into the workings of good and evil. You have such a sweet way of relating about God, so effective. So glad you are what and who you are! πŸ™‚ God gifts us each in His own way and in His own time. So glad.

1. Debby

Thank you Katharine. Yes, His way, His time.

6. grand-player

We get what we pray for? We don’t get what we don’t pray for? Sometimes we get what we want. Sometimes we get what we don’t want. Sometimes we don’t even know what we want. Sometimes it’s best that we don’t know or get. The only constant………God is good…….ALWAYS.
    love this post Debby.

1. Debby

So true, Gwen, we don’t know what we want and it can be best not to know or get. Absolutely, God is good always! Thank you for such insight.