Discovery or development?

It was only a week ago I was writing a post about the Catalyst Conference and saying: “Here we are. Look at us. Notice us. We’re here!” And then I went. And listened. Open ears, hopefully open heart. And I heard God speak through others. His message to me different and causing me to examine my motives and selfishness. Who am I to say “look at us”?

Yes, I’m proud of the Salvation Army’s mission but our calling, my calling is to serve God. Him above all, including this organization where I find my place.

It was a self-described redneck preacher from South Carolina who said this:

We need to stop screaming at the world discover me and ask God to develop me.

That’s the truth, isn’t it? That God develops us? I still stare at those words letting them sink in one at a time. Asking forgiveness for wanting the world’s discovery above God’s development.

Discover me or make me?

It hasn’t changed my mind on us having a booth at Catalyst. That was confirmed as well. The people who stopped just to say “thank you for being here”. Seeing our Chaplain and the usher at the arena door hug before we left. The usher had shared his story of his father needing a recovery program. Before the conference officially began these two connected and if that were all, God meant it for him. For both, for all of us.

It was a visual example of words spoken by another, “brokenness is mended by grace”.

My brokenness, His grace. Over and over as I keep taking myself out of his hands and hurling about on my whims only to find him with outstretched arms, grace extended.

“Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

19 thoughts on “Discovery or development?

1. teeceecounsel

beautifully inspiring post! Our relevance is from Him and for Him! We increase and improve by focusing above and not on the earth or on people’s appreciation. The more we behold Him, the more we become like Him.
    “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” (2 Corinthians 3:18).
    Thanks much for drawing our attention to His grace.

1. Debby

teeceecounsel – there were many moments like that for me at the conference. Oh, how I needed to hear God’s voice concentrated like that though I hear him speak through so many of my blogging friends. Thank you for the words you share as they are a real encouragement to keep me focused on above. Thank you!

2. teeceecounsel

Thanks much for drawing our attention to His grace.

1. Debby

3. judikruis

I would say He did some deep developing! A very valid message in this world of LOOK. Perfect verses from you and teecee. Thank you Lord for the work You continue to do in our lives to make us even more like You. Thank YOU that You are faithful to complete what You have started.

1. Debby

Yes,Judi, he did. So much to chew on from two days. I like how you put it, this world of LOOK. Well said. Thank you.

4. judikruis

1. Debby

5. Heidi

Just what I needed to hear today. Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your heart. He is good. Amen!

6. Heidi

1. Debby

Heidi, it was just what I needed to be sure. Yes, He is good.

7. luluberoo

Whenever the SA comes up in a crowd of people, there is always at least one person who has a “they helped me” story. I’m always amazed at the reach of this organization.

1. Debby

Lou, that’s nice to hear. Thanks for sharing that. I forget how often we help in a “quiet” way. Those are the ways that stick with people. Thank you, friend.

8. luluberoo

1. Debby

9. Debbie

Oh Debby – I do love that: Develop me instead of Discover me!
    Adding verse 10:
    “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
    I may not be quite at the delight stage yet, but I pray I’m at the Develop stage!
    Thank you for the encouragement!

1. Debby

Debbie, so many things I needed to hear from the speakers last week. And thankful God knew it too and provided.

10. Debbie

Oh Debby – I do love that: Develop me instead of Discover me!
    Adding verse 10:
    Thank you for the encouragement!

1. Debby