They Say It's My Birthday…..

5-5-57

Leominster, MA

First born child to Bill and Pauline, in a military town far away from their home and families. Mama was 18, daddy 22. Here’s the story of my birth I grew up hearing from daddy:

I was born 5 days late, still trying to catch up. He called his dad to tell him his first McFarland grandchild had been born, a girl. My grandpa, already in bed as I was born late at night, said to daddy, “You’re lying” and went back to bed. He was waiting for a McFarland name that would continue. A grandson. He’d wait 4 more years.

me5-58inYard copy

Debby

Scan 9

Two years later I went to live with grandpa and granny for a year and became the apple of grandpa’s eye. I might not always carry his last name but DNA doesn’t need a name to show its mark. I had his love which is always more important than names.

So that’s the beginning. There’s a lot to fill the middle as I’m old. I don’t feel old so don’t start with all your objections. Chronologically, you can’t argue with me. I do my best to fight against this age that always wins in the end. But this isn’t the end. Not even close.

My parents gave me my first gift, one that would get me through the coming years, the gift of faith. Through their belief and example and instruction, they instilled an unshakeable belief in God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  At times wobbly, yet certain.

Hmommy11-78 copy

a few years ago with mama and my brother and baby sister
a few years ago with mama and my brother and baby sister
a sneaky photo taken by my stealth niece, Kathryn
a sneaky photo taken by my stealth niece, Kathryn
IMG_2763
getting to share the weekend with two of my nieces
IMG_2761
the same sneaky niece had this surprise for me in an early celebration – still making memories

And you just thought today was all about Cinco De Mayo. It’s such an honor this would all be for me 🙂

13 thoughts on “They Say It's My Birthday…..

1. judikruis

Wishing LOTS of JOY on your special day!!

2. Mama's Empty Nest

A great day to celebrate YOU! Oh, goodness, there’s so many good and wonderful things I’d like to wish for you on your birthday — just a basketful of love with all the trimmings. Happy Birthday, Debby!

3. Mama's Empty Nest

Oh, and wait…one more thing…you had a PONY???? I’m so jealous. 😉

1. Debby

No, we didn’t have a pony. Apparently people would go into neighborhoods with a pony offering, for a fee, to take a photo of your kids on the pony. Since I was living with my grandparents at that time, they were softies ;)Thanks for the sweet wishes Cindy. My day started with a text from our son and the granddaughter singing happy birthday to me. Can’t beat that!

4. workmomad

Have a great birthday! As far as age is concerned, just remember that the end here is simply another beginning – and the beginning of the most real, true, joyful part of life we will know! (I am inching closer and closer to a birthday with that most awful of things known as a zero in it, so I think a lot about things like that!)

Nancy

1. Debby

Thanks Nancy. Yeah, zero birthdays aren’t too fun these days but I’m doing my best to tell them “you don’t scare me”. Thankful we have that future to look forward to where our bodies, minds, everything will be new and imperishable. What a promise!

5. Jeff

Happy birthday!!! Hope you’ve had an awesomely blessed day!

6. Sheila

Happy Birthday Debby! Love this post, especially… “Life has been fun and hard and confusing and hurtful and joy-filled and tragically sad. I’ve been tested and passed, and failed. Yet, I have received forgiveness, mercy and grace. I’m learning, always. Through it all, blessed. Beyond measure, beyond reason, more than I can count: blessed.”

Could not have expressed this better! Beautiful! ~ Sheila

1. Debby

Thank you Sheila. This life is best described as a beautiful mess and I’m loving it.

7. Celebrating……ME | Living In Grace{land}

[…] Last year I celebrated my birthday with you on the blog so I don’t need to go into all of that again. The curious ones who like old pictures (and I mean old!) can find it here. […]