Five-Minute Friday {blue}

It’s my favorite color, not my favorite mood.

How did a color that describes the sky so brilliantly striking and mood elevating, that defines an ocean so deep and true and sustaining, how did this color come to be the one to also describe the moodiness that casts down rather than up. That darkens everything around you and doesn’t allow for the brilliance of the sun to reflect from it?

I would have chosen gray. Gray is the color of darkening clouds that sometimes gather in your mind and pull everything within deeper inside. Gray is the shade that broods about, indecisive if it wants to be black or white.

Deerfield Beach

Deerfield beach  surf rolling in

blueberry pie

IMG_0498

my inner hippie
my inner hippie

IMG_1962

I’ll take blue jeans and blue skies, blueberries in pies and splash the shade across the landscape of my life please.

Indigo and pool blue. Mediterranean blue and aqua blue. Dip my toes in the barely blue oceans tide as it washes up in thin foamy bubble.

The moody blue creeps in at times. The melancholy side of me that turns more gray than blue. The tunes turn more bluesy as the figurative clouds settle in. Sometimes it can bring a deeper creativity. When it out stays its welcome, you just have decide it’s time to move that slider on the color button and pump that blue up to dazzling, sparkling, reviving.

In a brown-eyed family, where I love the sparkles from that chocolaty richness, I’m going with blue to decorate my days.

You always get to the choose the color.

Linking up with Kate Motaung and a brilliant group of writers for our weekly 5-minute free write. Stop over to add you take on this weeks prompt.

12 thoughts on “Five-Minute Friday {blue}

1. Bethann

Debby! Yes! Why is the color blue hijacked for sadness?!! Love your rift on the color blue!!

1. Debby

Thank you Bethann. I really should look up how blue got connected to sadness.

2. Anita Ojeda

Amen! You always get to choose the color! I’m glad that there are so many beautiful shades of blue–and I’ve always found that being around more blue helps cancel out the inner blues :)–maybe because the blue search takes me outside in God’s nature where the busy busy from inside fades away and I can hear his voice more clearly.

1. Debby

Me too, Anita! The blues of nature always seem to lift my spirits too. Nature certainly has God’s fingerprints all over it.

3. Elizabeth Meyers

I was wondering the same thing as I worked on my FMF post this morning! Yes, grey is much more of a downer than blue. I agree. “You always get to choose the color.” What a great reminder! I’m going to remember that. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
    Elizabeth

1. Debby

Thanks, Elizabeth. Funny how writing on these prompts can bring things to our realization. It always does for me. Helps me dig a little more. I need to keep reminding myself the same thing!

4. Annie Rim

Love this, and agree – such a random descriptor for sadness… I find blue calming, invigorating, and peaceful all at once. Love your artist’s view!

1. Debby

Blue has that effect on me too. Much like the ocean that can be violent, yet beautiful and calming in a moments time. I love that God informs us through nature – and color! πŸ˜‰

5. samcitty

I like how you’ve described the color blue in a variety of situations. It brings on both positive and negative connotations. It is ironic that the color would describe a negative mood while also describing the beauty of the sky and seas. Thanks for sharing and visiting from #FMF!

1. Debby

I can’t think of another color as associated with emotions as blue. Curious. This prompt made me dig but that’s usually good. Thanks for stopping by!

6. judikruis

Blue is a most wonderful color and maybe that is another reason I have chosen a lot of gray in the wardrobe…hmmmmm

1. Debby

Bue and gray – wonderful companions πŸ™‚