Five-Minute Friday {try}

A weekly link-up with Kate Motaung who gives the word prompt and signals GO, followed by a group of word-hungry bloggers, free writing for 5 minutes. Yep, that’s our 5-minute Friday.  This weeks prompt is ‘try’. GO!

daring adventure quote

“Try it, it’s good.”

“Try it, you’ll like it.”

“Just give it a try.”

“You have to just try a bite or you don’t get desert.”

I’ve heard my daughter negotiate with the granddaughter for the better part of five years. She’s been a stubborn eater, not willing to try new things that weren’t covered in chocolate or sugar. When you think about it, she might have a point 😉

It was equally challenging to get the granddaughter to put her face in the water in swim lessons or to try to float on her back. With her mother, a certified train the trainer lifeguard, at her side, her fears remained.

I don’t remember if I was a picky eater as a kid but I still can’t snorkel or like to have my feet on the shifting sand of ocean I can’t see. I can’t get the breathing right of the snorkel thing and that scares me and it only takes one sighting of a stingray or jelly fish close to shore to make my steps cautious and shallow.

The ‘what if’s’ have stopped many a try.

What if I fail?

What if I look stupid?

What if others laugh?

To fail is to never try at all.

To never step out of our comfort zone is to not trust God to be who he says he is.

“Taste and see that the Lord is good.
Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!” Psalm 34:8

To never try is to never risk and to never risk is to never love.

27 thoughts on “Five-Minute Friday {try}

1. anne jang

Lovely post! And so true! I am your neighbor at FMF!

1. Debby

Thank you Anne and thanks for stopping by!

2. anne jang

Lovely post! And so true! I am your neighbor at FMF!

1. Debby

Thank you Anne and thanks for stopping by!

3. denise

amen, so very true.

1. Debby

Thank you Denise. Thanks for stopping by.

4. denise

amen, so very true.

1. Debby

Thank you Denise. Thanks for stopping by.

5. Karen Brown

Debby- I love this line: ‘To never step out of our comfort zone is to not trust God to be who he says he is.” And I also love your line of questions- they perfectly capture the fears that we all have when faced with something new and risky. Great post! And happy Friday!

1. Debby

Thank you Karen. Have a good weekend.

6. Karen Brown

1. Debby

Thank you Karen. Have a good weekend.

7. joseph elon lillie

And life with God is all about trying new things and walking in new places. He does stretch us and I think we were made to stretch.

8. joseph elon lillie

1. Debby

Interesting to consider, Joseph, that we were made to stretch. I think we were but it doesn’t seem a natural thing. At least not for me. You gave me something to think about. Always like that.

9. joanneviola

Wonderful post. I have watched my daughter try to encourage her pick-eater as well. This here spoke to me this morning > “To never step out of our comfort zone is to not trust God to be who he says he is.” So glad to have visited from FMF this morning. Blessings!

1. Debby

I’m glad you stopped by too Joanne. We’re all more alike than we think, aren’t we? Have a good weekend.

10. joanneviola

11. Mari-Anna Frangén StÄlnacke

I hear you, Debbie. I hear you. I love this line “To fail is to never try at all.” So true. Great to see your home base, friend. Thanks for connecting. Stay blessed!

1. Debby

Glad you made it by Mari-Anna. It’s sure easier to try things when we have a good support team. Thanks for your encouraging words.

12. Mari-Anna Frangén StÄlnacke

13. Mama's Empty Nest

Oh, I’m with you on the snorkeling thing and not wanting to see the bottom of the watery pool I stand in. And yes, God does keep prodding us out of our comfort zone yet He still holds the life line. Great post, my friend.

1. Debby

Cindy, I like how you said he holds the life line. Great visual here and completely true. Thank you, my friend.

14. Mama's Empty Nest