Five-Minute Friday (quiet)

Quiet? Me? I can’t imagine that word has ever been used to describe me. My husband has even declared my bloodline as being the Loud Family.

Our voices raise with vigor and conviction over everyday matters and escalate when story-telling, aiming for a conclusion that results in raucous laughter.

My mama, brother and aunt aren’t physically capable of a whisper. Which could be why there are few secrets in our family.

When words aren’t spilling from my mouth they are swirling in my head, sometimes at ridiculous hours and they are the hardest words to quiet. to shut

Quiet? It is not a word synonymous with McFarland or anyone having a drop of that blood in their veins.

family laughing

silly family photo

Kathryn aunt Debby

But…..

There is relative quiet in this moment. A distant hum of traffic and the washing machine, my fingers pecking the keyboard…the day is coming alive but for now, a gentle stillness before the sun breaks through the clouds.

I like this. It is a side few people see or associate with me but I need the space that quiet allows. If only to let it revive me. To let words from others into my mind, words I believe God uses to prick my heart, provide new insight, calm my anxious heart. I can make this challenging for Him. I can keep the noise going and drowns out the “still, small voice” that begs me to listen.

I reckon this will be the go-to verse for today’s writing prompt. Mine will not be the first place to you see it. It was a Third Day song from long ago I remember, singing about the voice of God that doesn’t come in fire and wind, doesn’t come in a shout but in the whisper.

1st Kings 19:11-12 tells us from the Message paraphrase:

Then he was told, “Go, stand on the mountain at attention before God. God will pass by.”

A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before God, but God wasn’t to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn’t in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn’t in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper

Some days there are competing voices vying for consideration. Is it the loudest who gains my attention? Or is the important? Is it the proverbial squeaky wheel or the Voice of one calling softly and tenderly, my name?

Linking up with Kate Motaung for the weekly free-writing frenzy called Five-Minute Friday. Join the party!

16 thoughts on “Five-Minute Friday (quiet)

1. hopeful50

Hey neighbor! “Noise can offer a comforting distraction from what needs to be heard.” Love that. It is (maybe) your QUIET TIME that makes the raucous fun times so grand!!!

1. Debby Hudson

I do love both the laughter-filled times and the quiet, Susan. They are grand!

2. Anita Ojeda

I’m the quietest one in my loud family ;). I love the photos–it looks like ya’ll have FUN! IT’s good to balance quiet with noise and interaction (I have to remind myself about the noise and interaction part of that equation!).

1. Debby Hudson

The granddaughter is a great reminder about intentional fun, Anita. Balance seems key in life, doesn’t it? Wish is came more naturally 😉

3. Gabriele

I like noisy families. Well, as long as they are not yelling at me which happens sometimes around me.

1. Debby Hudson

My husband had more siblings but seemed to come from a quieter home and he’s the real introvert when he’s with my clan. I think he feels like he’s getting yelled at sometimes but we’re just being ourselves. He adds a lot of balance to my life, Gabriele.

4. Tara

Softly and tenderly indeed, he calls us each by name. I want to always listen to that voice, I’m parked in the #7 spot this week.

1. Debby Hudson

Me too, Tara. But I let the noise of life get too loud at times. Lots of work still to do.

5. LyndsD

Hi from your FMF neighbor! Oh I love love love your post! Loud is good. Noisy; comforting. All good things quiet brings too! Your words are beautiful!

1. Debby Hudson

Thank you for your kind words, LyndsD. So glad you brightened my day 🙂

6. Annie Rim

Frank’s side is so loud and it’s funny seeing it come out in the girls. Bea yells out “I’m talking pianissimo!!!” while Elle snuggles in whenever it gets loud. Wonder if those traits will stick…? I agree, though. No matter what volume you live life, listening to the still small voice centers us back.

1. Debby Hudson

I’m so impressed with the musical terms she’s using. We need to introduce those to our granddaughter. Bravo!

7. Jeanne Takenaka

Debby, I love that you come from a loud family. I do too. 🙂 They especially laugh loud. My hubby comes from a Japanese family, and they are. Not. Loud At all.

As much as I love the loud exuberance of my people, I also cherish the quiet.

And I’m so glad you shared that verse…it reminds me that, if I am living a loud, busy life, I’m going to miss God’s still, small voice. I don’t want that. 🙂 Have a good weekend, friend.

1. Debby Hudson

Jeanne, I’m not surprised to hear you come from a loud family like mine. I’m sure we’d share many loud laughs together. That may be what makes the quiet so sweet. Hope you had a good dose of laughs and quiet in your weekend.

8. daffodilsandcoffee

Debbie,
    May I learn to sit still before the Lord and listen to His still small voice speak to my heart. Thanks for the encouragement.

Lynette
    ~#117 this wk at FMF linkup

1. Debby Hudson

Still working on that myself, Lynette. Thanks for stopping by.