What if we create space to be kind to ourselves?

I’ve lived with the notion that create meant to be original. To draw something no one had ever drawn, that was made up completely in my mind. I thought create meant dreaming these wild and free images with words or paint but I’m not a wild and free dreamer. I’m not much of a dreamer at all.

Maybe it was from seeing the women in my life work with their hands. Maybe it was seeing mama taking the knitting classes or Granny with crochet hook in hand. Both women were good with the needle and thread.

Or was it from flipping the pages of magazines or standing in museums that I go the notion that to create meant big and unique. One thing I knew, I wasn’t creative. No, I could copy someone else, but I wasn’t creative.

Mama, in her quiet way, would praise my work. She was careful about praise but she hung my drawings on her wall and encouraged me to learn more, create more. I talked to her about my lack of originality, yet it didn’t seem to matter to her.

create
continuing our family art heritage with the granddaughter

create

create watercolor

My Facebook page needed some retooling. I needed to come up with a description for who I am. Writer? Photographer? Artist? All of those things are true, no matter how much I minimize their value and maximize my limitation.

After playing with this word and that, I settled on the descriptive word, create. Debby Hudson: Creative

Yikes!

I try to be a kind person. I open doors for people, smile, say please and thank you, but I’m not kind to myself. I fuss over missing the better shot with my camera or not using one shade of paint instead of the other. I especially berate myself for not being able to come up with my own ideas. I feel less than because I get inspiration from others. Arrogant? Maybe. Pitiful? Absolutely!

The bible tells us there’s nothing new under the sun. Nothing. God is the only one who has and can create something from nothing. He has created each of us in His image, an image that is kind and loving, even to ourselves.

Sometimes we have to do the hard things. Like being kind to ourselves. This is that place. Grace is that space.

Linking up with Kate Motaung and flash mob of bloggers for a weekly free-writing frenzy called Five-Minute Friday. Join us.

18 thoughts on “What if we create space to be kind to ourselves?

1. Linda Stoll

Oh yeah … you are creative, friend. I celebrate your giftedness … and it looks like your granddaughter does, too!

1. Debby Hudson

Working on the granddaughter still, Linda πŸ˜‰ But her mommy is done some wonderful drawings. It’s wonderful to be part of a thriving, and creative, community that can celebrate one another. Thank you!

2. Cindy

This post resonates with me, Debby. I too would not classify myself as creative and I scoff when people call me that. Why is it that it is so easy to grant others grace but not to ourselves? Is it just the way we were raised, or the era in which we were raised? I wonder.

1. Debby Hudson

Good question. I’ve wondered that too. I’ve noticed some real advancement in your photography skills friend. Love your photos!

3. Annie

Love that we are on the same page this week, Debby! I always have to remember that great art and architecture (like Notre Dame…) were done by a lot of unnamed artists following directions. Maybe not a lot of individual creativity, but a communal work of awesome beauty.

1. Debby Hudson

I had to smile the minute I started reading yours Annie. Yep, like minds πŸ™‚ Great lesson about unnamed artists. It seems the desire to be recognized with that label is what I need to separate myself from because that’s not what art is about at all. Especially when it’s God who gives the gifts. His gifts, His glory.

4. Susan

I like this so very much. And the watercolor of the clay pots? LOVE. xoxo

1. Susan

This is a re-design of your website? It looks so good. Clean and crisp and inviting. Oh yes, and CREATIVE. πŸ˜‰

2. Debby Hudson

Awe, thanks Susan. Of course, it was my hand but copied from another design πŸ™ I need to just get over that, huh? πŸ˜‰ Thanks again. You are a wonderful encourager.

5. gabriele

Rhythms of grace infers regularity, if not always a steady flow of grace, but regularity. I see that in your creative writing. You are very interesting as a creative, in my humble opinion.

1. Debby Hudson

I don’t think I’ve thought of that Gabriele. Yes, rhythm would infer regularity. I’ve always just thought of they lyrical quality it adds to grace. You have a wonderful way to see things, and express them, in a way that adds a new layer to them. I so appreciate that about your insights.

6. SLGibson

You are definitely a creative person! Love your writing, painting, and photos! I know the struggle you’re talking about, because I have the same issues…it took me a long time to call myself and really think of myself as a writer…seemed pretentious somehow. But I finally realized when I use that term, I’m not claiming to be a great writer…others will determine if I’m good at writing, nor not. I’m simply acknowledging that I write. You create, and that’s a fact. Period. And lucky for you, you’re good at it! Thanks for highlighting an issue that I think is common to so many…how we see and define ourselves can be the biggest barrier to becoming what we have the potential to be! Blessings! Happy weekend! ~ Sheila

1. Debby Hudson

Why do I sometimes stumble on the simplest things, Sheila? You too, huh? πŸ˜‰ Yes, you are a writer and your words here about defining ourselves being the biggest barrier are spot on. Thank you. I always benefit from the words you share.

7. Tara Ulrich

Debby, grace is such a beautiful gift. I too am not very creative. I’m just as hard on myself. I’ve had t lean to let that go and just create. You are indeed creative. I’m in the 51 spot this week.

1. Debby Hudson

I can be a stubborn learn, Tara. Okay, maybe just stubborn πŸ˜‰ Let go and create – I like that! I like what Annie said about it being the spirit of the word more than the definition of it. The best thing any of us can do is create space to welcome others into God’s love. Thanks for creating a space of grace.

8. JeanneTakenaka

Well rats. I had what was surely a profound comment that I THOUGHT I left here this morning. Sigh. I don’t see it now. So . . . .

Debby, I loved what you shared here. I’ve struggled with trying to be the one who creates something completely original, unique. I’ve thought that was the only way to be genuinely a creator. What I’ve discovered is that we create as God has given us to do. Everything created on this earth is a reflection of something. I may never create something completely unique, but what I create will be unique in that it will have my divine twist on it. No one else can create just the way we do, right?

Yes, giving grace and the freedom to figure out how to create is important.

Such a great post, my friend.

1. Debby Hudson

I need to remember what you said about everything created on this earth is a reflection of something. That sounds profound to me, Jeanne. We’re made to reflect His glory and that’s what our creations should do. Yes, thank you, friend!