Self-care: taking time to enjoy life

Mama didn’t raise me to be a cook. No, she scooted me out of the kitchen putting paper and a box of crayons in front of me to make her work easier. I wonder if she knew the seeds she was planting? That I would embrace the making of all kinds of art, the art she also enjoyed.

time with Christabel 803

home school

playing hands

time with Christabel 809

From coloring books and crayons to clay and chalks, pencils that weren’t #2 yellow and paints! I colored as mama tried her hand at knitting. There was always something she was making but what she was really making was a home. She was nurturing the joy of making, of creating. And she instilled that same desire in me.

My cupboards and shelves have been filled with baskets of ribbons and scraps of fabric. They’ve been lined with packets of needles and spools and skeins of thread. I’ve had my fingers covered with paints, hot glue and papier-mache.

apple watercolor

felt heart top down

My newfound art is still life photography. It doesn’t burn, shrink or make a mess. I haven’t had to rip out a seem or paint over a mistake. And the beauty captured brings a certain comfort, a reminder that beauty surrounds us in many forms.

I’m on a mission to craft spaces in my life for grace which is its own beauty.

If only mopping and dusting brought this much pleasure. It’s so much easer to dive into the things you enjoy.

18 thoughts on “Self-care: taking time to enjoy life

1. Sabrina Houser

I simply adore this and hope hope hope that one day my children too will see that I was building a home. Your creativity is inspiring and I wish you so much joy from all of it! Your FMF neighbor #17

1. Debby Hudson

Thank you Sabrina. Our kids are so good at noticing but the depth of it sometimes doesn’t take hold until they’re making their own home. What you’re investing won’t be lost.

2. Joanne Viola (@JViola79)

Debbie, I so enjoyed this post. I have never considered myself very crafty or artsy but lately am trying to develop more of it in my day. May you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1. Debby Hudson

We don’t have to share the same interests to connect with the joy it brings do we Joanne? I love our diverse talents and interests. I hope your Thanksgiving is full of precious moments.

3. blaaklistwriters

Loved this: “I’m on a mission to craft spaces in my life for grace which is its own beauty.” How inspiring to craft spaces in my life for grace… I need to meditate on that for a while.
    Thanks, Debby! Have a great weekend!

1. Debby Hudson

Always nice to hear your voice here Shauna. Thank you

4. Annie Rim

Love that your mom passed down the passion for art. You are an incredible artist – of all types of medium – and I’m so thankful you share your gifts with us.

1. Debby Hudson

She really loved it Annie. I think it was her balance and I’m glad she gave that to herself. Thanks for your kind words.

5. Tara L Ulrich

I need to take time to do more creating too.

1. Debby Hudson

Don’t forget the creating you are doing with words, Tara. That’s art too!

6. Sylvia R

I really enjoyed this, Debby. I have all the materials you mentioned cluttering up my “creativity room;” yet I also love the medium of photography. Speaking of still life photos, that fifth pic is a beauty! Before I read to the end of your post I was going to comment that the real-life pear in it looks so luminous, the whole thing looks like a lovely still life painting!

1. Debby Hudson

Thanks for your kind words Sylvia. We sound like kindred spirits πŸ™‚

7. Anita Ojeda

So true! I’d much rather take photos than mop, dust or clean toilets ;).

1. Debby Hudson

It definitely explains why my photos are better than my floors, Anita πŸ˜‰

8. Bree Durham

Love your blogs, Deb. They always bring fond memories of my own life with my Mama & Daddy & syblings. My wonderful sister, Pauline (Pookie, to me as a kid), had many of her Mama’s (my Mama) traits. All of my memories, and my own life taught by osmosis, were of giving & loving others. Having you to speak the beautiful life I was given, gives me great joy. Thank you, Debby. Praise God for the blessings of family to share our memories with

1. Debby Hudson

I agree aunt Bree. I’m so thankful we have voice to share these memories and the legacy we’re part of.