Why I, WE, need Thanksgiving

Because when it’s not on my to-do list or calendar I forget

It can’t be the best thing to admit I forget to be thankful. I say thank-you. Mama raised us to have polite manners, after all. But I forget to BE thankful. To carry specific thoughts of the litany of reasons to give thanks to God.

If we didn’t have a whole day with it spelled out on the calendar: THANKSGIVING, would I forget completely? I’m afraid the answer would be I’d continue the rush of life with the passing feeling of gratitude, often because of contentment. But

I need to dig deeper than comfort. I need to find my gratefulness in times of loss, of hard grief, of confusion because even then, I am made worthy by a compassionate God.

We need Thanksgiving to come together and remember what holds us, what keeps us coming back

annual gatheringannual gathering
The year we moved back to Florida, my father-in-law died a month before Thanksgiving. It would be my mother-in-law’s first Thanksgiving without him in 58 years. We knew she would be celebrating surrounded by the family that lived near her but we made the 9-hour drive because we’re part of those family ties that reach across miles. We keep coming back, making the drive because we’re grateful for our imperfect, crazy, loud family.

We need Thaksgiving to celebrate our common bonds and our differences

More than any year I can remember, this year our country is screaming loud its differences. People are taking sides when the only side to take is that we’re together in this life. We’re part of a country that honors free choice, free speech. If only we’d honor manners a little more.

The bible talks about the different parts of the body and their function.

“Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, 5 so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.” Romans 12:4-5 NLT

When our family gathers around the table, we will span generations with the energy of the young next to wisdom of the old. We are a family of musicians and artists. We are super smart and average. This one plays several instruments and this one none. The cooks will be stirring up their specialties while some of us set the table. We are an orchestra of different instruments that come together playing our parts as one symphony.

The matriarch will be waited on and I know her heart is taking it all in with a special fullness.

2015 Thanksgiving

Hudson Thanksgiving 2015

We have different tastes and different styles, but we make an effort to blend them into harmony.

I, we, need Thanksgiving for all of these reasons and more.

Acknowledge that the Lord is God! He made us, and we are his.
We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
go into his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good.
His unfailing love continues forever,
and his faithfulness continues to each generation. Psalm 100:3-5 NLT

Thanksgiving is more than a holiday — it’s meant to be all our days. – Ann Voskamp

13 thoughts on “Why I, WE, need Thanksgiving

1. KellyRBaker

I think this is my first time here, Debby. I’m happy to be your neighbor today via Coffee for Your Heart. What a neat table! I love how you come together with your family. Enjoy your Thanksgiving this year! 🙂

2. KellyRBaker

I tried to leave a comment, but I don’t see it. If you get a duplicate, please delete one. 😉 I think this is my first time here, Debbie. Happy to be your neighbor via Coffee for your heart linkup. I love the table setting and you have a beautiful family. Enjoy your thanksgiving! 🙂

1. Debby Hudson

Both received Kelly. Thank you! We meet at my cousins place and she always has a new twist on the table. Some years we’ve moved it all outside. Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Lesley

The photos are great, and I love the idea that everyone has something different to bring like the different instruments playing in harmony to create a beautiful symphony. We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here but I really like the idea of it- I think we all need a reminder to focus on all we have to be thankful for. Hope you and your family have a lovely Thanksgiving!

1. Debby Hudson

Thanks Lesley. It’s definitely a good practice to be intentional about our thanks.

4. sarahgirl3

I need Thanksgiving too. Life is hard and moves fast. I need the month of November to hit the pause button and focus on gratitude.

1. Debby Hudson

Hitting the pause button, that’s a really good idea and not just for one day. Thanks Sarah, hope your holiday was filled with joy.

5. Being Woven

Those “to-do lists” are how I function and have for much of my life. Thanksgiving is quiet around here as we have no children and both of our extended families are far, more than 9 hours. But we gather with 2 other childless couples for a special meal together. We make room for pie but also for giving thanks to God for all and something special in each life around the table. We sit there for longer than our bodies are comfortable because we are grateful for the time getting to know one another a bit better and to remind ourselves of the grace that God has poured upon our lives. Thank you for a special reminder of giving thanks each day but also for this season to emphasize the importance.

1. Debby Hudson

How much better our lives are when we make room for giving thanks. Good words, Being Woven. Thanks for sharing.

6. Annie Rim

Love your face in the family pic!! I’d like to think that I’d take the time to be Thankful year round, but sometimes we need it on the calendar, don’t we? I remember learning that Thanksgiving feasts were common before this became official. That neighbors and communities would gather to celebrate thanksgiving for a variety of reasons. Maybe we need to go back to that…

1. Debby Hudson

Ha! I’m learning to have a little more fun when it’s my photo being taken 😉 but this year, I completely forgot take any when we were gathered around the table. Hope yours was full of all the best that Thanksgiving brings Annie.

7. Mama's Empty NestCindy

Yes and yes! Why is it so hard to be intentional about giving thanks? Even though I claim my life verse 1 Thess. 5:16-18 about being thankful in ALL circumstances, I still struggle. Hope you had a lovely holiday, my friend. And even though we haven’t had much interaction lately, I do give thanks for you. <3

1. Debby Hudson

Cindy, sometimes I think the more content we are in this life the less often I remember to give thanks. Crazy! I don’t think the struggle is wrong. It shows we’re working on it. Sorry I haven’t kept in touch much but I do remember you and your family in prayer. I also know you find much to give thanks for no matter the struggles in life. We still count our blessings.