Are you living life in the slow lane?

I merge onto the interstate, making my way past the slow moving vehicles traveling at a crawl to the far left lanes, the fast lane.ย I push past those traveling at 65 mph….oh, how they creep along!

Other areas of my life mimic this need for speed or lack of patience. I try to avoid the checkout lanes that look to be slow, bogged down with shoppers with full carts. And I hope I the person in front of me isn’t the last person on earth to actually write a check!

Is it sheer irony that I’d choose hobbies that demand me to go slow? Is it a subtle way for God to slow my pace and still my racing mind?

There is no hurry when I take needle in hand and stitch the little pieces of felt. Or when I put paint brush to paper. Or stage a still life photo.

It’s been more than a year since I joined a still life photography class. Note the title: BEย STILL.

I’ve gone from that class on to another but the focus continues to be on still life. The kind of life that is measured and slow. I search for props and arrange them with uncertainty, tweaking them as I shoot. Time seems not to matter when inspiration comes. There is no rushing it. None.

It is not my natural state, this stillness. But it is good. It is like hearing your breaths. Even, measured, unhurried. It is pausing to take notice of what’s around me. To take notice of now.

Rushing on my drive to work may get me there a few minutes faster. It may give me some temporary satisfaction. But it’s gone like a vapor. There’s no beauty to be shared.

The moments of going slow are the balance needed in my life. My mind goes from hurried thoughts of shoulds to moments of still and slow and beauty.

Linking up with Five Minute Friday free writing group.

13 thoughts on “Are you living life in the slow lane?

1. Annie Rim

I always roll my eyes/laugh/am reminded when I speed ahead of someone and end up at the light with them anyway. It only adds a few minutes, if that, doesn’t it? And I suppose that’s how life is, too. We focus on the end goal, speeding ahead, only to be reminded that we’re all in this together, ending up sitting side by side. Love where your post has taken my thoughts!

1. Debby Hudson

I know Annie and it really annoys me to see the one who patiently motored along in the next lane end up ahead of me! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Yes, I like where it took your thoughts too. Something to slow down and think about.

2. Gabriele

Oh no! I still write checks in line at the grocery store. Ha! Ha! You gave me something to think about when you said you choose activities that require slow work, Me. too.

1. Debby Hudson

HaHa, I rarely see it these days Gabriele. I imagine your music brings so much to you depending on the tempo.

3. Tara Ulrich

I could feel a sense of peace as you wrote about those things that cause you still and that you love to do. It can be so easy to look for that fast checkout line or the fast line. I need to remember that slowing down is good for us. I’m in the 6 spot this week.

1. Debby Hudson

Oh, that makes me happy Tara. Hope you have some slowing this weekend.

4. Joanne Viola (@JViola79)

Debby, you brought such a smile to my face as I still write checks at the supermarket ๐Ÿ™‚ But it does not stop me from looking for the fastest lines. May I remember to slow down this week and see what the Lord would have for me in the stillness. Blessings!

1. Debby Hudson

I can’t even remember the last time I saw someone write a check at the store Joanne! Worse all the ones with a wad of coupons 2″ thick ๐Ÿ˜‰ Enjoy some stillness this weekend.

5. Sarah Geringer

Debby, I love your photos! This is a great post, and I plan to share it on my author FB page in March. I choose the best reads on the web to share, and yours will be included!

1. Debby Hudson

Thank you, Sarah! I’m honored for you to share this and your kind words about the photos. Great idea to do a monthly like that. Thanks so much. xx

6. Lesley

I love your photos. It is interesting how we choose hobbies that help us slow down and be still, but it’s so necessary to find ways to do that when the pace of life can be so fast.

7. blaaklistwriters

Wow, Debby! I โค this: “It is pausing to take notice of whatโ€™s around me. To take notice of now.” I am sufficiently challenged to find the ‘now.’
    Have a lovely, restful week!
    Shauna (your neighbour in FMF 26)

1. Debby Hudson

Now can be challenging, can’t it Shauna? I often forget it takes intention. Thanks for sharing your voice here.