There’s grace with the abandon

I have a tight schedule this morning. I need to pick up our kids from Miami from a cruise they’ve been on and traffic is…well, it is. My first thoughts were I’ll have to abandon this week’s Five-Minute Friday. Because, really, 5 minutes?

There are rules for this free-writing frenzy. Rules that I often abandon. I don’t set a timer but were I to guess, I’d say it’s closer to 10 to pull my scattered thoughts together. I know it’s at least 10 when I set about finding a photo to include with the post.

These guidelines for this word prompt are few, stretched by most of us, and grace given by all.

The one we hold to is the hospitality rule: visit others. Always. We visit the new one sitting alongside our post on the link-up and we visit those who’ve become familiar. I know I’ll be seeing some Five-Minute Friday friends each week. We’ll stop by to share kind words and spread the grace.

I confess: I’m a pick-and-choose rule keeper.  There are times I think that just maybe, I have a teeny tiny problem with authority. Just a little 😉 And while I like to laugh it away, it’s not one to have when I recognize God as my authority. He has rules too. But his rules are bathed in grace and more of my making than his. His desire is that we’d abandon the rule-keeping and put in its place love. To do all things in love because of love. Our love for him, his love for us.

The rules he gives aren’t confining or rigid. Because when we act in love we abandon the confines of shoulds and striving to be better than. To quote Bob Goff, “love does”.

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matthew 11:28-30 the Message

14 thoughts on “There’s grace with the abandon

1. maxinemarieoe

I love your take, I love the grace we get for “stretching” the rules. 5 minutes is hard. ESPECIALLY if you want to make it pretty too. 🙂 I enjoyed reading your post and I’ll be back to read more. Your neighbor on FMF

1. Debby Hudson

Thank you Maxine. So glad to see you here. It’s such a fun link-up.

2. Lesley

I’m glad you didn’t abandon FMF today! I have a problem following the rules sonetimes too, and I agree with FMF I will often break the 5 minute rule but never the one about visiting others. As you say, the most important thing is to love. Hope the traffic is not too bad for you!

1. Debby Hudson

It took 1.5 hours to drive 35 miles – ugh! The best part was seeing the smiling faces of family at the end. Makes it all worth it. And they had a wonderful time. Yes, stretching the rules is why we’ve connected with one another on this link-up. That’s a win!

3. Annie Rim

Haha! It’s so true- after finding a picture (and mine are snapshots, not beautiful!!) and then posting and visiting others, well…. Five minutes is more like 15…. But so good and sweet and I’m always glad I’ve made the time. And, like any community. The time is more than I think it’ll be but always worth it!

1. Debby Hudson

Good point about community. The time is more but so is the value. Thanks Annie.

4. Sylvia R

Yep, that’s so right: Love is the One-Rule, Best Rule that encompasses all other good rules–rules worth not abandoning, that is! (And therefore it can just take the place of the lengthly “shoulds” list.) Heh. (I think Jesus said something about something like that once upon a time…) I’m glad you posted, too!

1. Debby Hudson

Love is the guiding rule isn’t it Sylvia? Thanks for your comments. Good to have you here.

5. Tara L Ulrich

I know you’re not alone. Sometimes you just have to break the rules and write beyond the 5 minutes. I’m so thankful for grace from each other. I also look forward to seeing my FMF friends each week. I’m in the 41 spot this week.

1. Debby Hudson

Pretty good group isn’t it, Tara? 🙂

6. Gabriele

We have a happy community and every week I visit someone new. Love your pictures!

1. Debby Hudson

Yes, we do, Gabriele. I’m blessed that you’re part of it. And thanks for your kind words.

7. blaaklistwriters

Debby, you made me giggle today. Five minutes is barely enough to turn the tap on most weeks. Prime the pump, warm up the muscles, boil the water. I keep to the rule of marking the // start and stop // points (and not editing within those marks, but then I let ‘er flow. 🙂

I love this: “His desire is that we’d abandon the rule-keeping and put in its place love.” How beautiful! And how practical that you would mention visiting each other and pouring out encouragement. That’s what keeps me coming back each week. This community is sooo good at filling up my ‘love tank’ and my ‘creative tank.’ Don’t you just feel like writing a poem after visiting your neighbours? Love it.

Shauna (in #15 today)

1. Debby Hudson

Shauna, I missed your comment until just now! So sorry. I’m sure it was a tech issue and not human error 😉 Getting a friend to giggle with me = win! Always glad to share words with you Shauna.