Me? Admit to envy?

Seems people with curly hair want straight and those with hair as straight as sticks want curly. Brown-eyed kids want blue and maybe the ones with blue eyes are happy as they are.

Maybe it’s human nature to want what we don’t have. Maybe envy is inherent in our humanness. It’s not a virtue and while I’d never admit to having the kind of envy the bible warns against, I come close when it comes to family.

I’m content with my brown eyes. I’m well-adjusted with my 5’4″ stature and while I’d like to have more eyelashes like my cousin does (how does she get them to separate so!) what I really envy are those who live in the same community as their family.

For too many years, seeing my parents and extended family was a visit. The meaning of that words implies its temporary nature. We can feel more familiar in a parents house even though we’ve never lived in it. I recognized that years ago. But I also knew my time with them couldn’t be more than a few days a year.

family meet up in North Carolina, 1991

Hudson Thanksgiving 2015

Today our family remains spread out across three time zones. Our children are in two different states and my siblings in two more. My heart would have us close enough that visits didn’t seem like, well, a visit. I long for a time when our house is the pass through, the go to and the foundation.

I want the same for you. For those who’ve stopped in for a visit, I hope you’ll stay. I’m appreciative of Annie and Susan and Linda and Sue and Judi and the unknowns who just click “like”.  Those of you who’ve stayed and settled in with me here on the blog. This is how we get to know each other. This is how we conquer the geography that divides us.

And this must be what Jesus wants most from us. That we aren’t merely visitors but that we make our home with him. What a good home it is.

17 thoughts on “Me? Admit to envy?

1. Joanne Viola (@JViola79)

Debby, I love the point you made … Jesus longs for us to make our home permanently with Him. Wonderful post! May you have a wonderful weekend!

1. Debby Hudson

Thank you Joanne. Happy weekend to you too!

2. Lesley

It must be hard to have your family spread so far and wide. Visits are great but, as you say, they remind us that it’s only temporary.
    I’m glad we’ve been able to visit regularly through our blogs though we are so far apart.

1. Debby Hudson

I appreciate the connections I’ve made through social media Lesley. Not a substitute, of course, but I’d have never known even a glimpse of folks from around the world like you. Thanks for being part of this community.

3. Annie Rim

Yes! Visit does make me think of staying awhile & getting to know someone better…. (Also, love your opening. Bea, who has the most gorgeous blonde hair, is always lamenting the fact that hers isn’t brown like Elle’s… Starts young!)

1. Debby Hudson

Oh my, it is starting young, Annie! 😉 What a job parents have today.

4. Gabriele

This writing community has really assisted me to feel confidence in expressing myself. I so appreciate your posts and honest telling.

1. Debby Hudson

That’s a very good thing Gabriele. So glad writing has given you that. Your words have a place here.

5. Susan Shipe

Like where you took this, Deb. And, love the photos. De ja vu!

1. Debby Hudson

Thanks Susan. De ja vu for sure! 😉

6. Janis Cox

Debbie,
    Great post. I tweeted and followed you. I agree that visits are important – even short ones. Our family rents a cottage for a week once a year so we can all be together. It bonds us completely – dogs and all. And we also meet 3-4 times for weekend visits – always together. So good for the grandchildren to know their cousins well.
    Blessings from #19 on FMFparty,
    Janis

1. Debby Hudson

How nice to ‘meet’ you Janis. Glad you’ve introduced yourself. How lovely that your family is able to get together like that annually. That’s a real gift!

7. Tara L Ulrich

Love where you went with this post! I’m over in the 3 spot.

8. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

Beautiful, Debby. First a visitor, then a friend.I’ve seen it time and again on my blog.

#1 at FMF this week.

1. Debby Hudson

So true Andrew. A gift of sharing.

9. Sarah Geringer (@SarahGeringer)

Debby, you inspired me to be more thankful today for family that lives close by. It’s something I often take for granted. Blessings to you!