Great Expectations?

Sometimes I have to pause and ask myself, “What’d you expect?”
Answer: I don’t know, but not this.
I never expected to be married at 20, our first baby at 21 and second at 23.
I never expected to find ourselves in full time ministry as, what I joke, was my husband’s mid-life crisis.
I never expected my parents to divorce or my mom to have Alzheimer’s.
But I did, we did, they did.
There were some hurts, anger, feelings of not knowing my way but also learning about God’s love in ways I never would have without these times in my life.
We’re facing a new time in our lives. As always, this husband who I could never have expected to be so what I need (aka wonderful!) is sailing through. But me, I didn’t expect this anxiety.
I didn’t expect the uncertainty. One moment I feel elated about the nearing future of retirement and what it promises. The next, I want to know the specifics. Now. I don’t want to wait. Are there hidden expectations waiting for me – again?
I realize I can expect to be overjoyed but that one doesn’t come natural to me. So I hold my breath a bit and overthink it all.
Until those words come that find a way of answering the fear:
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Eternal,
“plans for peace, not evil,
to give you a future and hope—never forget that.

14 thoughts on “Great Expectations?

1. mendellrachel7

Jeremiah 29:11 – Yes! I have that posted in notebooks and bathroom mirrors. Wonderful post! Thank you

1. Debby Hudson

Thanks for your kind affirmation mendellrachel7.

2. Susan Shipe

I am so there with you, Deb. So “there.” THIS FROM YOU: “I try to keep expectations low, it’s safer that way. But they have a way of being invisible. You don’t know they’re there until you’re let down.” Every post on EXPECT I’ve read this morning? Is ministering to my soul. This word was the prompt in May 2016 and when I saw Kate chose it again I was befuddled but now I know why. I needed to read all the words….AGAIN. xo

1. Debby Hudson

God is good that way, isn’t he Susan? I need to read a few of those posts too. Thanks friend.

3. Annie Rim

Ha! You know me… I overthink my own expectations! I’m so thankful for a God who is stretching me to trust that those plans are for good. Thanks for that verse and the reminder that life isn’t what we expect. And that’s not a bad thing.

1. Debby Hudson

Ha! I’m right there with you Annie. And I’m so grateful for the way he’s shown me some of what I didn’t expect are some of my greatest joys. I need that perspective a little more.

4. Tara

So with you!

1. Debby Hudson

Must be the season, Tara 😉 We’re in good company.

5. Lesley

I think it’s true that we often have expectations we don’t even realise. And I share your feelings about uncertainty over the future. It is reassuring to know that God has good plans for us even if they’re not what we expect.

1. Debby Hudson

And it’s good to continue to encourage one another, Lesley. Thank you 🙂

6. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

Debby, this is a really brilliant post. You cut to the heart of the expectation trap in which we so often find ourselves with wisdom and compassion. Bravo!

#1 at FMF this week.

1. Debby Hudson

Andrew, you definitely have the gift of encouragement and are gracious in sharing it. Thank you and I thank God for giving you a spirit of hope which you also share so freely.

7. Mama's Empty Nest

Well, my friend, you’ve hit the nail on the head. So much of life has been the “I never expected” scenarios that anymore, I just EXPECT to face challenges, trials, difficulties. I never expected God to stretch me to my breaking points, but He has, He does, and I’m a better person for it because I’ve learned to trust Him more. So He continues to mold me, make me after His will (and now, the lyrics of the old hymn Have Thine Own Way are playing in my head). I know that, but still….it ain’t easy.

1. Debby Hudson

I knew those lyrics right away Cindy. And I know it’s not easy. You have been stretched, as you say. And it’s created in your more space for grace than you ever realized. God has increased your worth, kicking and screaming all the way 😉