Be Present

These two words have been popping up or my eyes have been attune to seeing them in many places. Be Present was the theme for last year’s Catalyst conference. Since then I’ve read the blogs of others who’ve used this phrase, chosen the word “present” as their word of the year or something similar. Author, Donald Miller, a favorite of mine, chose the words “here” as his word of the year. It’s a companion to the words “be present”.

As a young camper we sang a song before our meals in the dining room. The words are:

Be present at our table Lord. Be here and everywhere adored. These mercies bless and grant that we may live to fight and die for Thee. Amen”

The thoughts conveyed are the same. Don’t be somewhere else. Be here. Be now. Not distracted about later or yesterday. Terrible distractions they can be as C.S. Lewis so craftily points out in The Screwtape Letters.

β€œThe Future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time–for the Past is frozen and no longer flows, and the Present is all lit up with eternal rays.”

Yet it can be so hard to be present. Here. This moment. My mind too often jumps ahead looking for answers to questions not asked, solutions to problems unknown.

2011 Opening day

This year’s conference theme is Make. The mind reels with that one. We can make do and we can make peace. We can make time and make money. You can make me laugh and make me smile. We can make our mark. What do you make of that? πŸ˜‰

Take a moment to be present and contemplate that word: make. Be still and listen to the spirit within stir that word around. I’m looking forward to how the speakers will approach and apply that this week.

We’re praying when people see our exhibit booth we’ll be able to help each other make a better way in this world.

• Debby said:

Susie, Thank you so very much!

October 2, 2012
      • SPTP2011 said:

My pleasure it was a beautiful post
        God Bless
        susie

October 3, 2012
    • Debby said:

Susie, Thank you so very much!

October 2, 2012
      • SPTP2011 said:

My pleasure it was a beautiful post
        God Bless
        susie

October 3, 2012
  1. luluberoo said:

I don’t know what to “make” of it. Let us know how the speakers apply it to the message.

October 2, 2012
  2. luluberoo said:

October 2, 2012
    • Debby said:

I will Lou. I’m anxious to hear their application too.

October 2, 2012
  3. Debbie said:

You likely won’t be surprised to hear that H and I are reading The Power of Now (not sure I’d recommend the book – but the concept is great). My focus for the past month has been on “being present”. I had no idea how often I’m not. I love your Screwtape quote – may just have to borrow that one! Praying for you!

October 4, 2012
  4. Debbie said:

October 4, 2012
  5. judikruis said:

Make us aware of Your Presence Lord. Let this conference build even more hearts to Your purpose and how to make a difference. You always make a way when we give life to You. Make Your peace be felt by Debby and all as they work together for You. Great recycle change!!

October 5, 2012
    • Debby said:

Judi, I was able to read this prayer while I was there. It was a comfort and yes, He did bring peace. From before I left and the whole time through. A certainty and peace in knowing I was following his voice. Thank you!

October 6, 2012