Celebrating……ME

Always at a beach somewhere :)
Always at a beach somewhere 🙂

It’s not what we do in our family….blowing our own horn or patting ourselves on the back. Mama embodied the word humble but I think she might get a smile out of this.

Last year I celebrated my birthday with you on the blog so I don’t need to go into all of that again. The curious ones who like old pictures (and I mean old!) can find it here.

Most days I look at myself in the mirror and thank God I have good hair. It helps distract, momentarily, from the wide hips, blotchy complexion and this belly that wasn’t there a few years ago.

With one quick look I can tear myself apart. But I’m getting better. Really, I am. Better with age.

It seemed to me mama wasn’t keen on getting older. But aunt Juanita, daddy’s sister, she revels in the crown of her age. She laughs at her forgetfulness and isn’t embarrassed to grab the walker to help steady herself. She wears age like a crown and she glows in its beauty.

She is clothed in laughter and love and these are the true beauty marks.

DSC_0447

“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit them together in my mother’s womb. 14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous—and how well I know it.” Psalm 139:13-14

It’s taken me well into my 50’s to start accepting who I am, inside and out. Or maybe I’m too comfortable or too tired or plain old lazy. Today it doesn’t matter the reason. I am healthy and well blessed. I am wonderfully complex!

It is amazing!

His workmanship is marvelous!

“How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can’t even count how many times a day your thoughts turn toward me. And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me!” vs. 17-18

My eternal gift, every day, is God thinking of me.

And it’s totally okay with me that we have the same gift; that He is thinking of you every day too.

1. Jennifer said:

LOVE this! You are more than your hips or your hair, which you know but sometimes needs to be affirmed. 🙂
    Happy birthday!

May 5, 2015
    • Debby said:

Affirmation is for the young and old alike, Jen. We all know it means most coming from friends. I think. Or is it they mean more from your boss? I get confused at my age. 😉 jk, I value our friendship and the words shared between us. You push me to deeper thinking.

May 5, 2015

Happy birthday, Debby!! You are wonderfully complex and I so appreciate you sharing your journey here. Hope your day is filled with surprises and affirmation!

May 5, 2015
    • Debby said:

Thank you Annie. It’s taken me a while to celebrate the complex part but it is so true 😉 I am being showered with cards, song and flowers from staff and the men today. Overwhelmed with their outpouring of generosity.

May 5, 2015
  3. We celebrate you right along with you! God made wonderful you as a gift to your family, your friends, and everyone whose life you touch. And that includes your blog readers too. Happy blessed Birthday!! P.S. Go you! I think you’re going to follow in your aunt’s footsteps. 🙂

May 5, 2015
    • Debby said:

Oh, Cindy, I sure hope I follow in her footsteps in that area. She’s been a big part of my life that I’m thankful for.

May 5, 2015
  4. judikruis said:

Comfy in our own skin is a journey in itself! So glad to journey with you. I pray this year brings you even more of those creative dreams coming to be and LOTS of beaches!!! Bless you dear friend :0)

May 6, 2015
    • Debby said:

That sounds delightful, Jude. I’m thankful we can journey together even across the miles. xo

May 7, 2015
  5. Tara said:

Happy birthday Debby. I really loved your story. Pray for you.

May 7, 2015