Five-Minute Friday {alone}

The short refrain from The Lone Bellow rings loudly in my ears

“….you’re not alone, you’re not alone”

and I wonder if she knows that 3000 miles away she’s not alone.

IMG_8328

a rare time the three of us are together Aug 2015
                                                         a rare time the three of us are together Aug 2015

Today is another birthday celebration for mama, another she won’t recognize and another my sister may feel alone in carrying the family weight of simply being there.

It’s something we’ve slowly come to accept simply because we have no choice. She is there, Washington state, our brother is in Dallas and we are in the tip of Florida, eyes on that “cone of uncertainty” watching another storm with a name.

Even with her three kids and supportive husband, with dozens of extended family nearby, how many times has she felt alone sitting with mama, answering questions of her care givers and showing up when others can’t?

Sometimes life is that way and while we’ve shared the tears we also share the smiles and understand when our laughter may not be understood by all. We know that standing alone does not mean we are alone and we ask God for that comfort that he gives, sometimes, in surprising ways….the smile of a knowing person, the email from someone who has walked this journey, the echoes of a song.

“By yourself you’re unprotected.
With a friend you can face the worst.
Can you round up a third?
A three-stranded rope isn’t easily snapped.” Ecclesiastes 4:12 the Message

1. joanneviola said:

Alzheimer’s presents such a difficult journey for both patient & family. Praying for God to be with you all, giving you the strength & comfort needed each day. And may you all know that you are not alone for He is with each one of you. Blessings!

August 28, 2015
    • Debby said:

Thanks Joanne. It’s been several years now. Enough the grief has softened. I’m so thankful for my sister and always want her to know that.

August 28, 2015
  2. Ruthie Gray said:

What a sweet post, Debby. I’m sure it’s hard, being so far away. I referenced the verse in Ecclesiastes today also. I’m glad you have siblings to help in your concern for your mom.

August 28, 2015
    • Debby said:

Thank you Ruthie. Through it all, God blesses us and surrounds us with caring people.

August 28, 2015
  3. Ruthie Gray said:

August 28, 2015
    • Debby said:

August 28, 2015
  4. iwillbloom said:

Love your post. Love how you note about comfort arriving from surprising places (I have totally found that, too). So needed to hear the Ecclesiastes verse today (thank you)…your FMF friend…Helen

August 28, 2015
    • Debby said:

Thanks for those sweet words Helen. God is faithful to meet our needs, often before we know them ourselves.

August 28, 2015