Day Two – a Smile

“We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.”

Mother Teresa

the granddaughter joins us now

Christabel with Nikon

DSC_0659

The granddaughter, all 5 years of herself, slung the big camera around her neck as we walked the path next to the roses. You know how little girls try to be big girls and little girls all at once.

She’d been with us all week, parents back home and herself with us in the Carolina mountains, she keeping up with all the girls, all the ages.

She point the lens at a rose bush, stopping still with her small hands on the Nikon’s sides, her index finger finding the shutter button. Snap, one, two, a few more and we walked on. It’s a busy path, this paved walk between the lake and the flowers; dog walker and folks out for the summer air.

Christabel with Nikon

DSC_0653

I don’t remember if it was his smile looking down at her little self with big camera or her raising the camera that stopped him and made him smile. Whatever it was, she lifted the view finder to her eye, he stopped and gave a broad smile, two strangers sharing a small beauty.

This girl has an eye.

1. Gabriele said:

This post is incredibly sweet. I love how she was trying to be a older girl and a younger girl at the same time. And, your writing was beautiful.

October 2, 2015

Thank you Gabriele. She’s almost 8 now but she still teeters between older and younger – thankfully! Precocious and precious 😉

October 2, 2015

I give Bea my phone sometimes to take pictures. Some are beautiful! Love that you give her the fancy camera to practice with – how affirming!

October 2, 2015

Another thing I’m better at with the granddaughter, Annie. I doubt I would have done that with our kids at that age. Old dogs, or girls, can learn new tricks 😉

October 3, 2015
  3. iwillbloom said:

Debby, I absolutely know what you mean about the ‘big girl little girl’ thing…my daughter’s 5 but wants to be 25 (and behaves 25) at times; other times she’s needing a cuddle, on my lap, just like when she was much littler……what beautiful photos your granddaughter took! She definitely has an eye for a good picture! Loved your writing…..

October 2, 2015

They seemed caught between worlds. Being and only child, she moves quite comfortably with adults. I’m thankful to see her loving her friends and not wanting to leave home without her babydoll. And the cuddles, for sure!

October 3, 2015
      • iwillbloom said:

Yes, it’s so sweet, the way they switch between worlds…my daughter is nearly 6 (in January) and it’s such a delightful age (well, all of them are, aren’t they?!)…have a great day, Debby….my littles are on half term so I *will* get to your blog….unsure when, however….(hopefully tonight….!)….Helen xx

October 4, 2015

I think when our grand got 5 and 6 that’s when I really started enjoying her developing sense of humor. She can be shy and living several hours away we don’t see her as often as we like. Have fun during their time off, Helen.

October 4, 2015