Day 20 – Ordinary Beauty of the Family Table

It’s always around the table. The meal is finished but we stay, we linger, not wanting to leave the hard chairs and easy conversation.

Granny’s kitchen was too small to gather around her chrome table with Formica top. It was the place for the youngest to keep from being underfoot while the women divided up tasks for meal preparation, the men sat in the living room telling tales and the kids played outside until the call came for supper.

The best days are when we pull out the extra leaves for the table or we add a card table at the end to make room for more. More food, more people, more stories, more memories.

Hudson Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 4306

Thanksgiving gathering in the Florida panhandle

family christmas family christmas

black and white place setting

The season has begun when our tables will be pressed into service more often. When the table linens will come out and the pantry will hold a sleeve of emergency plastic cups. Or maybe they’ll be our ordinary cups because we’re all family and it’s just easier that way.

The table is where Jesus shared the best with his followers. He shared his cup, overflowing with blessings, his bread, our sustenance. They jockeyed for position to sit at his right at the table and most days, I’m just grateful to have an invitation to be in His presence. I’ll sit at the kids table, Lord, they seem to understand your ways better anyway.

I think he delights in seeing us gathered with friends and family, gathered around a table where hands are held and blessings are breathed. There is beauty at the table, friends. Ordinary beauty of the communion of souls.

Linking up with Purposeful Faith today.

1. Linda Stoll said:

Hey Debby … what a cool post! I’ve been starting to wonder where in the world will we put every body, big and small, at Thanksgiving this year? Your wise words brought sanity and grace to my wondering mind.

And now I can’t wait …

October 20, 2015

I miss the days when our table was full, Linda. Our family is scattered around but we’ve been blessed to join together, most of us, for a Thanksgiving celebration that has sometimes required tables outside. The best! Enjoy the gathering!

October 20, 2015
  2. Gabriele said:

I need this reminder to take time to eat and talk at the table. It is an extraordinary pleasure sometimes.

October 20, 2015

Isn’t it Gabriele? An extraordinary pleasure. We are celebrating with family this weekend at a nephew’s wedding. It won’t be the same as gathering at one of our homes but the time together will be shared and we’ll be lingering around a table somewhere. 🙂

October 21, 2015
  3. Romi said:

Blessings to your beautiful family sitting around the table. 🙂

October 22, 2015

Thank you Romi. We are with family this weekend for a wedding. Thankful for another opportunity to be together.

October 23, 2015
  4. Beautiful post, Debby. I love the photos, and I totally agree. We’re anticipating Thanksgiving with all four of sons, who are scattered far and wide, will join us, their cousins, aunts and uncles and grandparents to squeeze in around our dining table.

October 22, 2015

It’s so hard to be separated, isn’t it Ingrid? It does make the times we gather more cherished. Pull out every chair and stool you have and linger in good company!

October 23, 2015
  5. Debby, I loved your words here. Fills my heart with such joy as I remember times around the table with my people.

I am a South Florida girl, too! So lovely to “meet you” today through #write31days. 🙂

October 22, 2015

Hello Lyli! Down here we have the luxury of taking the tables outside when more space is needed. Our memories of these times are part of the gift. Glad you stopped by

October 23, 2015