Learning to accept help is learning to be humble

help

Big are small, heavy or light, we carry the load alone. We are proud Do-It-Yourself-ers. No help needed, thanks.

People have been quick to offer a hand. They see my hands full and the call comes out, “Need some help?” No, I’ve got it, was my typical reply. I was the boss. I could carry my load too. That’s what I thought I was showing. I thought I was letting them know I wasn’t too big, too proud, too full of myself that I couldn’t carry a few things or move something.

I grew up with strong women and other than a bug squashing here and there and gutting fish, we could do things ourselves. There’s not much harder than giving birth, so trust me, I’ve got this.

Until the day my son saw me decline the offer of help to carry things that were clearly awkward to manage. Mom, you need to let them help. They want to.

I’ve learned to accept help with the physical things. I acknowledge my limitations as I recognize the need to allow others to help.

But I still resist asking for help with the deeper things. The things below the surface that others don’t see. The battle with depression and mood swings. The negative self talk. The trap of comparison. Those things are the heavier burdens to bear.

The Beatles had it right when they sang:

Help! I need somebody
Help! Not just anybody

I need the help of Jesus. I need to recognize he often chooses the most unlikely to be my help.

“When you do something for someone else, don’t call attention to yourself. You’ve seen them in action, I’m sure—‘playactors’ I call them—treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that’s all they get. When you help someone out, don’t think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out.” Matthew 6:2-4 the Message

Linking up with Five-Minute Friday host, Kate Motaung, as she gives the word and we go. Join us!

1. JViola79 said:

Debbie,
    This here is the line I needed to read this morning > “Humility comes in the bended knee, the silent prayers and the acceptance of help.” May we ask for His help in our times of need, assured that He is our ever present help. Blessings!

July 22, 2016

It seems easier to write about than do some days, JViola79. But we press on because he’s always there.

July 22, 2016
  2. ouch! I am sometimes so pig-headed I won’t ask for help when I need it either. And the thing is, others are so willing to help. They WANT to help and I don’t allow them the blessing of helping.

July 22, 2016

That’s been me, Christy. So glad our son helped me understand. I still have a stubborn streak for the hard things but I’m learning.

July 22, 2016
  3. Tara Ulrich said:

Yep THIS: “Humility comes in the bended knee, the silent prayers and the acceptance of help.” Blessings friend!

July 22, 2016

Thanks Tara….with a little help from our friends! 😉

July 22, 2016

Exactly right, Andrew. You’re a fast learner!

July 22, 2016
  4. Shauna Blaak said:

The beauty in all of this is that when we finally ALLOW others to help us, everyone is a winner. We get the pleasure of being helped, and they get the pleasure of helping. Your son was right, people WANT to help, and it gives them joy to do so!
    Haha, so I guess the next time someone asks if we need help, we should actually say, “Sure! Share the joy!” 🙂

July 22, 2016

Yes, Shauna, he definitely was right as are you, it’s a win-win.

July 22, 2016
  5. Linda Stoll said:

Thanks for stirring the pot on this one, Debby. Lots of truth about humility and pride in your very apt words …

July 23, 2016