I have a choice and today I choose happy

sunrise in our neighborhood

The quiet calm of our neighborhood in the early morning
The sun peeking over the palms
The mist hanging above the green of the ball field

Happy

The emails from friends far away
The text from family
The voice of a friend

Happy

The ocean lapping around my ankles
The umbrella shielding us from the sun
The rain that will blow hard and green our yards
The thunder that will remind me of summer storms of my childhood

Happy

ocean

A1A at the Atlantic Ocean
A1A at the Atlantic Ocean

lily S and kk happy

We know happiness because we’ve been touched by sadness. One making possible the other and both reminding us we are made to feel. In both emotions I celebrate the feeling rather than numbing.

Sitting on the front porch with family
Giggles from our granddaughter
watching birds flutter on the feeder

Happy

I read one time that happiness is a choice and I believe that. Some days it’s a hard choice and some days I make the wrong choice. We have had a lot of sadness lately. Untimely and tragic deaths, quarrels and hurt feelings…these have left me with the sting of sadness and rightfully so. There will be other times when happiness is the right choice. Even challenging times where I can still choose happy over anger.

Today is new and unknown.
The sun brings promise even as laundry whirls in the washer and errands run.

Maybe the unknown is the best time to choose happy. To ready our smile and set our eyes with an expectation of good to be found. To get away from the news and remember today is a gift.

In this moment I have, I’m choosing happy. Maybe my choice will be contagious because I believe happy spills over to those around us.

Linking up with Kate Motaung at Five-Minute Friday

1. Annie said:

Love this poetry of happiness! I was over at Tara’s and her post reminded me of my thankful list, but instead using happiness as the base. Wondering if that would refresh my perspective? And, isn’t it always the balance of lamenting with the world and remembering to see the joy and happiness that permeates even the sadness. Thanks for this!

August 5, 2016

That word lament, has been weaving in my thoughts a lot lately. Yes, balance is key but often hard. We’ll keep working on it, though, won’t we? Thanks for your faithful encouragement, Annie.

August 5, 2016
  2. gabriele said:

Debby, choosing happy is a brave move. Definitely, a braver choice than numbing, which I know for sure.

August 5, 2016

I never thought of happy as brave but many times, it really is. Thanks Gabriele. I need that perspective.

August 5, 2016
  3. Tara Ulrich said:

It really can be hard to be happy when there is so much sadness around us. But you’re right we can choose to be happy. And often times our happy can be contagious. I’m over in the #5 spot this week.

August 5, 2016

Happiness is definitely something I’d like to see go viral Tara 😉

August 5, 2016
  4. Carly said:

Great post! It reminds me of the movie “Inside Out” in both joy and sadness being part of life and both of them being necessary at times but we still have a choice to let happiness take control. I think you’re right that when we choose happiness it is contagious and it impacts those around us.

August 5, 2016
  5. Susan said:

I’m sorry for the sadness, Deb..

August 5, 2016

It sort of comes with the job, Susan. It’s the other side of the victories. Thanks for your concern.

August 6, 2016
  6. I know I’ve been much happier the past couple of days when I’ve been farther away from the computer and Facebook. The heaviness of life can weigh us down for sure. I love the way Annie put it: “lamenting with the world and remembering to see the joy and happiness that permeates even the sadness.” Sometimes the sadness is closer to home, when I consider the perspective of an eternal future and remember the sadness is only fleeting, I can better deal with the sadness.

August 6, 2016

Yes, Christy, Annie captured it quite well. Working with addicts has a good share of lament but also celebration. The lament is necessary but so is the joy. Yes, knowing God holds it all is the answer. Thank you for your kind words.

August 6, 2016

I’d say choosing happiness in the unknown is a brave choice, Sarah. I’m not there yet but it’s a goal.

August 9, 2016