Is your craving lying to you?

I’m more likely to crave those tortilla chips than chocolate. You know, the blue ones that aren’t overly salted and a tad thinner than the ‘other’ ones? Yes, I’ll choose those any day over chocolate. Even Dove (seriously, Hershey doesn’t compare!)

I remember hearing about the odd cravings pregnant women would have but I never had any nor did my friends. Sure, we enjoyed in more indulgences and blamed that extra little person we needed to nourish but weird desires for pickles and ice cream in the middle of the night? Nope.

xmas tree hope

My husband and I work in area where cravings have overtaken lives. We’re learning how some drugs have a stronger pull than others and from what we’ve seen, nicotine has the strongest pull. The two legal substances, nicotine and alcohol, can produce cravings so strong that lives are ruined. The destruction can take years, making it easier to deny.

Maybe our internal cravings aren’t physically destructive, but we can be so easily pulled off course and sucked into gossiping or that old familiar comparison trap.

When we dig deeper, when we look past the outward behaviors, we see the real yearning is to be whole.

Isn’t this the same for all of us? Our desire to be included, to be part of the group, to be just like her, is actually our craving to be accepted. We long to be counted in, to be not a part but whole.

This time of year brings expectations that are a combination of imagined and unrealistic. They add to our craving to be whole, complete. The good news is, that’s just why Jesus came.

“Hope of all hopes, dream of our dreams,
a child is born, sweet-breathed; a son is given to us: a living gift.
And even now, with tiny features and dewy hair, He is great.
The power of leadership, and the weight of authority, will rest on His shoulders.
His name? His name weโ€™ll know in many waysโ€”
He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Dear Father everlasting, ever-present never-failing,
Master of Wholeness, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 ย the Voice

1. Debbie, we both went in the same direction with the prompt ๐Ÿ™‚ I love that this time of year brings the reminder that He satisfies us more fully than anything else this world can offer. Blessings to you and yours!

December 2, 2016

If only we’d turn to him first to satisfy, Joanne. I’m too quick to reach for the temporary. Glad to be in sync with you in our cravings ๐Ÿ™‚

December 2, 2016

He’s the only one that can, Annette and yes, He is awesome. Thanks for stopping by.

2. Great post, Debby!

In thinking about this, I realized that I sort of go the other direction – my craving is for the moments of high solitude, such as can be found in Bryce Canyon’s Amphitheater, among the silent and proud hoodoos.

It’s not so much Communion with God as it is the search for the Zen state of being/nonbeing. does that make sense?

#1 at FMF this week.

December 2, 2016

Yes, that makes sense. To me it would be searching for my being rooted in God,creator of canyons and rivers and all of nature. One of our counselors leads a mediation class that includes practicing being present in the now. There’s a difference between solitude and isolation and can definitely get behind the value of solitude, Andrew. A healing time. Thanks for adding your voice here.

3. Gabriele said:

Ah, to be whole. I want that but can only imagine it applied to me with Grace.

December 2, 2016

Grace is exactly what makes us whole, isn’t it Gabriele. Thank you for adding that.

December 2, 2016
  4. Deb, so well said. You’re right. I think there is an internal craving to be whole, to be known. And Jesus does satisfy and fill us when we turn to Him. I’ve never read that passage in The Voice before. Wow! Beautiful post.

December 2, 2016

Jeanne, aren’t we blessed to have so many translations to make the familiar words new to us? First time I’d read that portion in the Voice too. Glad to share it.

5. Patricia said:

“…the real yearning is to be whole.” YES. It’s comforting to be reminded that God can’t love me any more, even as I struggle to be more like Him.
    Peace.
    Patricia (FMF#37)

December 2, 2016

We keep trying to be more, don’t we Patricia? But as Gabriele mentioned earlier, it’s His grace that makes us whole. Thanks for stopping by.

6. Kimberly said:

Yes! I’m totally with you Debby. Great words of wisdom. Thank you.

December 2, 2016
  7. Thank you for the ministry work you and your husband do. It is so important. Great post. I’m in the 5 spot this week.

December 2, 2016

Tara, you are always an encouraging voice. Thank you!

December 3, 2016
  8. Laura Hicks said:

I live in an area where cravings have overtaken so many lives as well. It’s heartbreaking! Thank you for the work you do. I love reading different scriptures in the Voice as well.

December 3, 2016

It is hard isn’t it Laura? I’m so grateful for the varied “voices” we can read the scriptures. What a gift! God bless.

December 3, 2016
  9. i love your post debby. especially the part about cravings that take over. blessings during this wonderful season! i’m at 73:)

December 4, 2016

Thank you Martha. Trying hard to keep my focus on the right part of the season!

December 4, 2016
  10. Major Michael Hawley said:

I skip a lot of what comes to my inbox but I look forwards to the insights that come from your hands and heart.

December 4, 2016

Thank you for your kind words Michael. Hope you’re filled with extra blessings this season.

December 4, 2016