Is anyone in control?

It’s enough to make me silence the news. There is fake news, alternative facts and more chaos and confusion that can make you ask, “Is anyone in control?

I thought you had this God. I thought you’re the one in charge. You set this ball of earth spinning but have you walked away?

There was a time I thought I was in control. I can still give that impression. When you speak with an ounce of confidence, have your lipstick on straight and smile you can fool a lot of people. Sometimes, I’ve fooled myself.

There’s the control we try to have when we say this is the way it’s going to be. We set bedtimes for our kids, try to teach them manners and make sure they wash behind their ears. We prepare mostly nutritious meals, know their friends and go to church as a family. And that can feel like control. Until it unravels and we blame God because he’s suppose to be in control!

Maybe it’s the way we tell some of the bible stories or the way we hear them. We give the impression that God is a puppet master pulling the strings and when things go wrong, it’s got to be his fault.

Maybe it’s semantics and we use the term that God’s in charge because it seems gentler? than control.

If we surrender our lives to Jesus isn’t that the way it’s suppose to work? He takes over?

Oh, but when Jesus takes over, when we give him control of our lives he does it in love. He never limits our free will, our ability to choose which way to go. His example of being in charge is that of a parent wanting the best for us but not constraining us against our will. He’s not a maker of confusion or chaos. He is the one that when all seems out of control, brings peace.

‘I’ve told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.” John 16:33 the Message

1. tlcole14 said:

Love this line! “He’s not a maker of confusion or chaos. He is the one that when all seems out of control, brings peace.” Visiting from FMF : )

January 27, 2017

Thanks Tara. I’ve chosen peace as my word for this year so I’m trying to be more focused on knowing God’s peace.

January 27, 2017
  2. SarahEFrazer said:

What an amazing verse Debby on control. I loved it. It should give us SUCH PEACE if we would only remember it. I’m your neighbor at FMF this week! Blessings!
    -Sarah

January 27, 2017

Remember the verses in the midst of chaos is a challenge but this one keeps coming to me Sarah. Maybe we all need to post it on our mirrors 🙂

January 27, 2017

Thank you for this Debby…. When people say “God is in control!” and life feels so out of control, I just don’t know what to think or feel. Yes, God is indeed in control. That’s what gives me hope. But, in the meantime? What do we do? I don’t think he’s in the clouds, controlling our actions and thoughts. So now what…? Thank you, thank you for this verse. I think I’ll write it somewhere big in our home.

January 27, 2017

You know I’m not good at recalling verses. Or maybe it’s that I’m married to a man who is like a walking concordance. But this verse has come to mind frequently lately and I’m so thankful and happy to share it Annie. May it sink deep into our hearts and refine our actions.

January 27, 2017
  4. Tara Ulrich said:

Ooh this really spoke to me today. Thank You! I’m in the 11 spot this week.

January 27, 2017
  5. judikruis said:

It does look like a mess. Lord help us to rely on Your foundation with “peace”. Shalom….

January 27, 2017
  6. Such a great verse, Debby… one of my favourites! I also ❤ this: “He’s not a maker of confusion or chaos. He is the one that when all seems out of control, brings peace.” yes yes yes!
    Happy belated New Year!
    Shauna (back and in FMF22 today)

January 27, 2017

Glad to see you back Shauna and that you’ve gotten your son settled. Praying for a wonderful year ahead.

January 29, 2017