Delighting in the strength around me when I’m weak

Tell me the story simply,
As to a little child,
For I am weak and weary,
And helpless and defiled.

It isn’t the body that is weak but the spirit. Tired and weary as the old hymn says. Made weak from the news, real and fake, weak from uncertainty, and even weak from caring.

But I take heart in the strength of Jesus. He puts others in my life to speak words of encouragement or an unexpected bouquet of flowers.

Jonathan and Sarge

He brightens my day with a phone call with my daughter, a funny photo of our son celebrating his dogs 3rd birthday. All of my life is filtered through the lens of faith and God’s presence in our most ordinary times.

I recognize the need for self care more and more. The need for balance and the recognition this may not happen on a daily basis.

A couple of weeks ago I thought I’d caught a cold from Henry. It turned into laryngitis and persisted to the point I knew I needed to go to the doctor. A quick look confirmed it wasn’t a cold but a sinus infection. Two prescriptions (and one for rest) had me on the mend. I just wonder why we aren’t as quick to take our spiritual and emotional fatigue to a doctor?

The chorus of that old hymn above says ‘Tell me the old, old story of Jesus and his love’. His love that takes many forms in bringing strength to my weakness, and soothes my soul.

Haha! The dog looks thrilled to be celebrating! 😉 I’m learning that God’s strength is found in the most unexpected places – that he puts people in our lives to build us up through him. Thanks for this encouragement, Debby!

February 17, 2017

The dog was a lot happier when he got his birthday treat 😉 I felt very disconnected on this post Annie. It seemed especially difficult to find words for it. But I know, what gets me through most things is others.

February 17, 2017
  2. Lesley said:

I love the photo of the dog, and the little ways God uses others to encourage us and give us strength by showing his love.

February 17, 2017

Isn’t it great, Lesley, how those little things appear just when we need it and often when we didn’t even realize we did? Thankfully we can recognize his loving care through these ‘little’ moments.

February 17, 2017
  3. hopeful50 said:

I totally get the body/spirit thing. I’m pretty good at the moment – but well you know how that goes!

February 17, 2017

Catching up here since being away. Yes, Susan, I definitely know how that goes!

February 24, 2017
  4. Tara Ulrich said:

Love THIS: “The chorus of that old hymn above says ‘Tell me the old, old story of Jesus and his love’. His love that takes many forms in bringing strength to my weakness, and soothes my soul.”

February 17, 2017

Thanks for your faithful encouragement Tara.

February 24, 2017
  5. Gabriele said:

We are often late for spiritual and physical care. We don’t seek help until we drop.

February 19, 2017

That is so true, Gabriele. Especially with people in full time ministry.

February 24, 2017