We’re on a mission

The organization we’re with has a purpose statement for the area we’re assigned to. We have an overall mission statement but in our singularly focused area of ministry, we also have a statement defining our purpose. It says, in part:

“The primary purpose of an Adult Rehabilitation Center is the spiritual regeneration and rehabilitation of men who have undergone a process of disaffiliation from those significant ties, which enable individuals to take advantage of the opportunities and cope with the tribulations of everyday life….The center affords them the opportunity to gain insights into their problems, while acquiring self-respect, and to develop moral and spiritual principles of conduct and habits of industry that will enable them to gain purpose and meaning in their lives.” The Purpose Statement of an Adult Rehabilitation Center of The Salvation Army

With purpose comes intention. Or should. In our efforts to provide care for the men who’ve come in our doors, we are intentional about the meals we serve them, about the activities we offer. We intentionally seek to show them their lives have purpose, even in a broken state.

Alumni Sunday

A friend of mine has recently developed a personal mission statement. Some have these for their blogs. Some groups and workshops recommend it. I can see the value it can provide for the writer and reader.

But I wonder about a purpose statement. I wonder if I’d be as inclined to be intentional with a personal purpose statement as we are with one for our mission?

If I look at my intentions, perhaps it will reveal a purpose I’ve not defined. One that is intent on offering encouragement to others. To be a good friend. To look for God in the every day ordinary. To point others to His grace and compassion.

I learn and hone my skills on purpose.

What would the world around us look like if we lived more with God’s purpose? His mission to love the least and the lost? Yes, let’s do that. On purpose.

Ooh, love this. I think that, as Christians, if our own purpose statements (whether formal or informal) don’t reflect the love and purpose of God, what is the point? And how powerful would it be if we all took the purpose and mission of God seriously? I’ve been grappling with that a lot lately…..

March 3, 2017

Isn’t our collective purpose to worship and glorify Christ? The words sound good but too often we don’t back them up with actions. We continue to hope his purpose will expand in our hearts Annie.

March 3, 2017
  2. Lesley said:

I love reading about the work you do and your desire to show people who are broken that their lives have purpose. And it would make a huge difference if Christians were more purposeful and intentional about showing God’s love and grace to others.

March 3, 2017

Let’s not underestimate the big difference our small ways may have, Lesley. They shine brighter in heaven than we can imagine. At least I believe they do. Let’s keep pressing on.

March 3, 2017
  3. Gabriele said:

To do that on purpose means to be attentive. Paying attention to what is going on around us often opens the way to act with intention.

March 3, 2017

Exactly right Gabriele. Attention results in intention.

March 3, 2017
  4. Ron Clark said:

I know first hand how you help the broken I always remember how you and Major Hudson would talk to me, listen to me, and make me feel value as a person. Just setting down and having lunch, talking with us meant so much I didn’t get everything right while I was there. But a foundation was set and if you could see me now with friends and family who love and trust me. I will never forget where the transformation started Continue your mission you are changing lives Thank You

March 3, 2017

Thank you Ron. Your words mean a lot but what means the most to us is knowing you’re living a life of purpose and restoration. That brings glory to God and that’s our main purpose. Continued prayers for you and yours.

March 3, 2017
  5. hopeful50 said:

Yes, on purpose. I do have a “mission statement” but I’m changing it to a Purpose Statement right now. xoxo

March 3, 2017

Susan, you are a woman of action! (and that’s a great example to all)

March 3, 2017
  6. Tara Ulrich said:

Yes I want to do that every day….love the least and the lost. I’m in the 5 spot.

March 3, 2017

I think you already do Tara. Blessings to you.

March 4, 2017
  7. I think the area around each of us would look like a much happier place if we all did this. Have a blessed day. 🙂

March 4, 2017