When have you had enough?

Enough is enough.

His words were heavy with conviction as he spoke to the room filled with 100+ people. Most were men, like him, addicts and alcoholics. It was a night of celebrating sobriety. One month, two, a year, 5 years and more. We’d celebrate program completions and we would share with cheers, encouragement and words of caution.

Mark was the resident manager. He lived upstairs in a private room among the others rooms that held six and ten. He reminded them to tuck their shirts in, be on time, shave….every day. He saw the literal good, bad and ugly of addiction. He lived it once himself.

Enough is enough.

Most of the time Mark is the full of smiles, everything is good kind of guy. His face is a bit too easy to read, however. This night, his heart was heavy for others struggling with this lethal disease and he spoke firm words of caution. He said it not as a plea but as a victory chant: Enough is Enough

Did you ever hear your mama say it? I’ve had enough of you. Or that’s enough!

Whatever it was we were doing, she wanted it to end. Now. No more. She’d had plenty, more than enough.

I remember well Mark’s earnest words of choice. A mantra, a note to self to stop the destruction, the lies, the flirting with death.

Mark knew, and we know, it isn’t so easy to change. We’re people who seem to crave more. And more. Stopping is hard because we can’t do it alone.

1. hopeful50 said:

You know how I love The Word, Deb, but I love “story” so very much. It is our story that make His story have feet (at least for me) – I love reading your words of story and testimony. Because when we read “that Joe did it” then I can have hope that “Susan can do it.” STORY. Nothing tells HIS like ours. (I must use that. Straight from Holy Spirit). THAT always happens when fingers strike keyboard. #14 at Kate’s.

April 7, 2017

And I do love to tell the stories, Susan. I might use your words too: Nothing tells His story like ours. That’s what makes his story living today. Thank you for sharing that friend.

April 7, 2017
  2. Oh, yes. We need to stop wanting more and more. Simplicity should be our goal. But, yes, it’s easier said than done. Thanks, Debby, for talking about this. We can’t continue to consume like this. Blessings to you!

April 7, 2017

I like to think I’m a simple person but I’ve come accustomed to comfort. I need to be more awake to my habits too Maria-Anna. Together we’ll encourage each other along.

April 7, 2017

This phrase went through my mind, too. How many times have I exclaimed, “enough!!!” It is so hard to change and I need to exclaim that to myself quite often… 😉

April 7, 2017

I think it more than I say it Annie. Not always that word but it’s there and I need to listen to myself.

April 7, 2017
  4. Gabriele said:

What a powerful phrase from Mark. Your stories from your ministry always move me towards compassion. Thank-you.

April 7, 2017

It left an impact on me Gabriele. It was at least 5 or 6 years ago that he said it but I remember his passion so well. Anytime we’re moved to compassion it’s the Holy Spirit moving in us. Thank you, Lord.

April 7, 2017

That’s a tough enough to take, Andrew. I pray he surrounds you with people to lift you and and remind you that you are loved.

April 7, 2017
  5. So much THIS: “Sometimes, that’s the hardest part. Admitting we can’t do it and that we need help. It’s that way with life, not just addiction. We’re at our best when have others around us to share the burdens. Friends or professionals who we can be our true selves with. It’s the Jesus way of finding he is our enough.” It took a lot of courage for mark to say those words he did. But I’ll bet it made a huge Impact. I’m over in the 39 spot this week.

April 7, 2017

I know it’s impacted to me, Tara. We all touch the lives of others that we may never know. This FMF group is all about that isn’t it?

April 7, 2017
  6. Debby, I loved this story and I would love to know more about your life and ministry. What an amazing thing to be involved with. Our pastor always says, “A Win is a Changed Life.” It sounds like you are winning, my friend. Beautiful!
    Shauna (your neighbour in #13 this week)

April 8, 2017

Hi Shauna. I’ll email you regarding our ministry. I agree with your pastor, changed lives are the real win.

April 9, 2017
      • I got your email. What a great ministry to be involved in! Wow, I’m so blessed by you guys. (I’ll reply as soon as I can 🙂 )

April 10, 2017

Thanks Shauna. Looking forward to hearing from you.

April 11, 2017