Some days are a should storm

Like the storm clouds that gather, their familiar gray turning an inky blue and looming heavy, so is this one word:

should.

I should move more
pray more
be more.

I should listen more and talk less.

I should
memorize scripture
keep a journal
have a sabbath day
know my neighbors
love everyone – E V E R Y O N E
love myself

The list could go on, and on, but I’m already exhausted. That word is gathering a storm of weight on me and it bears down.

The weight is in knowing there is truth there.

Here’s another list of shoulds few of us would argue with:

I should wash my hair
wear deodorant
schedule regular doctor appointments
and a little lipstick won’t hurt.

One list sounds like a burden of expectations set by others and one list is common sense. Okay, you get a pass on the lipstick thing.

There is a weight we carry in living our days. Or we can choose to carry it less as an obligation and more as a privilege, a joy even. And that’s where I falter.

We live in privilege. We have choices and access.  We have clean water and rows and rows of choice in shopping for deodorant, shampoo, even multiple versions of bibles.

It comes down to balance again. Are the shoulds keeping us on track or raining down on us like a storm? How can we be accountable to the ones that  feel like weight but can help mold us into God’s servant?

“So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.”

Romans 12:1-2 the Message

1. Susan Shipe said:

This is just plain excellent. Great message.

May 5, 2017
  2. Gabriele said:

I experience should storms, too. I often have to sort through to what I am trying to conform. Thank-you for sharing your candid thoughts.

May 5, 2017

Great way to sort them Gabriele. Who, why or what are we trying to conform to? I’ll need to ask that question more often.

May 5, 2017
  3. Alice Nine said:

So glad Jesus brings peace in the “should storm.” Visiting from #18 at FMF today.

May 5, 2017
  4. Lesley said:

I agree, should is a weighty word. Sometimes it is helpful and keeps us on track. Other times it gets too much and becomes burdensome. As you say, the challenge is finding the balance.

May 5, 2017

Lesley, did you watch the series The Crown? It fascinated me in the ‘duty’ that determined much of a royals life. It’s helped me consider things from a different perspective.

May 5, 2017
      • Lesley said:

I’ve seen about half of the first series and I agree, they did have a lot of duties and obligations and “should.” It’s very different from how we often perceive royalty.

May 5, 2017
  5. Wow! Yes! tHIS: “It comes down to balance again. Are the shoulds keeping us on track or raining down on us like a storm? How can we be accountable to the ones that feel like weight but can help mold us into God’s servant?” I’m over in the 30 spot this week.

May 5, 2017

That scripture is so perfect, Debby. My first thought with this prompt was a list of shoulds. Funny how quickly that can come to mind, isn’t it? Learning to lay it all down…. As an offering – thankful for that.

May 5, 2017

There are a few places in the Message that really stick with me Annie. This is one of them. Glad it connected with you too.

May 7, 2017

Thank you Andrew. Your presence is always an encouragement in many ways.

May 7, 2017
  7. I love the phrase “should storm.” So often I feel a should-storm descending…it needs to be my call to faith and prayer!

May 6, 2017

I have to laugh, Sarah, as until I looked at the written words it didn’t hit me it was close to another kind of storm I’ve heard 😉 I do believe there are some parallels. You’re exactly right. These storms should always be our call to faith and prayer.

May 7, 2017