Which lies do you believe?

The men come to us wearing the truth of addiction. Its stench is a life rotting away from the denial they are caught in its grip. Their faces gaunt, their eyes flat, their hearts hollowed from its lies.

For too many food, rest, and a hot shower will cover addictions truth: it comes to destroy. They will, again, believe the lie they can do this on their own.

That lie sounds familiar because I’ve believed it too. I can do this, on my own.

I can be a good parent, a good teacher, a good friend. I can do this by myself. I’ve got this.

On my own, by myself, whichever way you’ve told yourself it isn’t true.

From our beginnings God said it wasn’t good for us to be alone. He created a companion, a helper. Later, as Jesus prepares to leave his earthly body and fellowship with his disciples, he tells us He will never leave us but send us his Spirit to be our helper.

We live with lies swirling around us. Sometimes it’s hard to discern the truth. Add to that a world that has decided there can be different truths: your truth and mine. How do we represent Jesus as truth when others say prove it or that they have their own truth?

There is a man in our program now who can’t accept God as his higher power. He needs proof. Give him a book, a study he can read, one that’s been validated in ways he accepts. This, friends, is a hard life.

My truth is that Jesus is the truth. His life showed us and his word continues to reveal it. His gift to us is choice to believe.

1. Sabrina said:

Powerful post and great work! From your FMF neighbor #21

May 19, 2017

Thank you Sabrina. Enjoyed your post today too.

May 19, 2017

We had brunch with friends the other day who are strongly not Christians. They are some of our dearest friends, so when the topic of faith came up, it was fun to debate and talk about different points of view. But, later I just felt so sad. Because you can’t prove God or even Jesus. There are so many valid points to both sides. And yet…. The truth & light that I see in my own life? It’s unprovable maybe but it’s there. Praying for this man and for your interactions with him – that he may see something far beyond proof.

May 19, 2017

Challenging, isn’t it Annie? But a worthy one. Thank you for your prayers.

3. Gabriele said:

The lie that we can do this alone is so powerful. I fall into it again and again. Thank-you for writing.

May 19, 2017

I’m sure it’s not the first time I’ve written about it Gabriele. Obviously an issue for me too.

4. Susan Shipe said:

I just read something pertinent to your friend who wants “proof”…I must copy and share with you. In an email. xoxo

5. Michael Hawley said:

Solid! Thanks!

6. Lesley said:

I think we all have times when we fall into the lie of believing that we can do it on our own, but mostly I’m relieved that we don’t have to. And I agree, it is hard to know how to share the truth sometimes.

May 19, 2017

When I’m brutally honest with myself, I know I rarely do it on my own and I am most thankful for that. My stubbornness can sure get in the way Lesley! 😉

7. Linda Stoll said:

I’m guessing that maybe more of us are addicted than we’d like to admit. Maybe not to substances, but to lies, pride, self-pity, critical spirits, etc.

What an enlightening post, Debby. Blessings, friend …

May 19, 2017

No guessing here, Linda. I’m sure of it, myself included.

May 20, 2017
  8. judikruis said:

Praying with you that THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH will meet him and others in a rich way. That faith can enter their hearts and vocabulary!!

May 19, 2017

Amen, Jude, God works his miracles everyday and we have a front row seat!

May 20, 2017
  9. Great post, Debby. It’s kind of funny…I came to Jesus through logic. Looking at the evidence was compelling.

1) There’s no question that He lived; He is documented independently of the Bible.
    2) His Teaching is sound, and as C.S. Lewis famously said, anyone who claims to be God is either mad, or telling the truth…and there is nothing in Jesus’ words that suggests madness.
    3) His followers were, in many cases, willing to die in their faith, and that can’t be explained by any sort of ‘mass hysteria’, as the deaths took place over a span of years and miles. If they did NOT know that He was raised from the dead, and that He was who He claimed to be, their deaths would have been worse than meaningless…and very few people will die for something they know to be false.

There’s more, but this is, I think, proof sufficient unto the birth of faith.

#1 at FMF this week.

May 21, 2017

I’m thankful for your open mind, Andrew. Some folks are just stubborn. But then the Apostle Paul had a stubborn streak in him. It took a pretty big event to get his attention. Not giving up hope for all those questioning. Thanks so much for outlining a few of the ‘logical’ rationales that opened your heart to Jesus. Wonderful!

May 21, 2017