What’s it worth to you?

When we were kids, one of my younger cousins would trade you his dime for your nickel. He thought bigger was better. That the size spoke its worth.

We laughed, pleased with ourselves for pulling something over our younger cousin. Trouble is, when we grew up, we let the world pull the same thing over on us.

We’ve bought into the stuff, the titles, the degrees, the labels, the whatever it is that’s being sold this week.

I know. I think I’m too smart for those pitches too. But I find myself trading my dime for someone else’s nickel too.

I’m looking for my place. I”m looking for status, for recognition but these are empty. They will never describe my worth or my value.

God-given gifts

The text we grew up on says this:

“For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” Mark 8:36 KJV

Eugene Peterson, in the Message, expands on that as he writes with more context:

Calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for? Mark 8:36-37

It’s why we shut out the 24-hour news cycle and close our laptops. It’s why I turned off notifications on my phone. At times, it’s hard. I don’t want to be the las one who knows the latest app or the political jokes the late night talk show hosts are making. But it’s fools gold. In the scheme of life, it’s worthless.

Am I a nice person? Yes

Do I want to make a positive difference in this world? Yes

Do I show my love for my family and friends with actions and words? Yes.

Yes, yes, we are good people. But Jesus wants more than good. He wants all. He is described as the pearl of great price. His sacrifice has paid the price. He alone makes us worthy.

1. Sabrina said:

I love your concept of how we all bought into bigger is better as adults. Great work this morning on the word.

June 16, 2017

Thank you Sabrina. Preaching to myself…as usual.

June 16, 2017
  2. Lesley said:

Great story with the coins! I think we do like to believe we’re smarter as adults but it’s all to easy to be tricked into thinking bigger is better and looking for worth in the wrong places.

June 16, 2017

That would have been a good title Lesley – “Looking for Worth in All the Wrong Places” 😉

June 16, 2017
  3. Gabriele said:

Looking for value in the wrong places is such a strong lesson to learn. I need a reminder about this often.

June 16, 2017

We all need this reminder more often, Gabriele. It’s a daily battle sometimes. That’s why we need to encourage each other. Thank you the encouragement you always share with me.

June 16, 2017
  4. Debby, you’re so right. Illness has cost me my profession, most of my avocations, and now my mobility and most of the power of speech…but this has only let me see more clearly the value that the Almighty places on me.

When things get dark, He is the Light.

June 16, 2017

That is the ultimate truth, Andrew. When things get dark, He IS the light. Yes and amen!

June 16, 2017
  5. great post debby:) i love this: “I believe my value will only be found of worth through the saving grace of Jesus Christ.” my post is at 74 today. blessings:)

June 17, 2017

Hi Martha! Good to see you. I’ll have to stop by your place soon.

June 17, 2017
  6. Tara said:

Oh how we try to barter. But God has something so much better and which isn’t worth bartering at all. I’m in the 72 spot this week.

June 17, 2017

He always offers better…best, doesn’t he Tara? And we fall for less again and again. Glad we can remind each other and pick one another up with our words of grace. Thanks Tara.

June 19, 2017
  7. evaraye said:

Facing challenges with my family due to the illness of my mom, I have been wronged in so many ways. Being the only one that serves the Lord in such a committed way, my Christianity is a threat to my siblings. They have excluded me from any help I offer. The words they have spoken to me, do not define me. Love this verse, “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how.” The tears have been many, but the regrets are NONE! I continue to follow Him, no turning back. I am His child, so in the end, I will see him face to face and it will all be worth it.

June 19, 2017

I’m sorry for the difficulties you are going through. Family can be the toughest challenge of all. I was reminded with a verse read yesterday in church where Jesus said the world wouldn’t know him and if they don’t know him they don’t know his followers. It’s especially hard when that is family. Press on. His joy is not defined by others or circumstances.

June 19, 2017