Ready, steady?

How did I take one giant step playing Mother May I as a kid and I can’t do lunges on steady feet as an adult? I wobble and throw my arms out to keep balance ON THE FLOOR!

I stand straight. Fix my eyes on an unmovable point across the room and stretch out with one leg. Fixing my eyes on the edge of the frame on the wall, the unmovable, helps steady my move, helps stabilize my balance.

I wonder where they fix their eyes? On the horizon that never changes?

Our work in in the recovery community isn’t stable. Some days it’s like being forced on an out of control roller coaster. The dips and turns have your fingers wrapped in a death grip around the, so-called, safety bar. The minute it slows and you catch your breath it whips around another sharp curve and you wonder where that blood curdling scream is coming from only to discover it’s you.

Does that sound like your day? It’s called life. And I keep searching for that smooth ocean where I can stand balanced and enjoying the view.

Where can I fix my eyes? What will help hold my balance in this ever-shifting world?

“Now stay focused on Jesus, who designed and perfected our faith.” Hebrews 12:2a VOICE

In the Old Testament book of laments, where people were surrounded by difficulties, we find this hope:

God’s loyal love couldn’t have run out,
    his merciful love couldn’t have dried up.
They’re created new every morning.
    How great your faithfulness!
I’m sticking with God (I say it over and over).
    He’s all I’ve got left.
Lamentations 3:23 the Message

1. Larri said:

Amen! He is the source of our steady.
    Great post. Visiting from FMF. Happy Writing!

June 23, 2017
  2. Sabrina said:

I just loved this! It reminded me of how frustrated I get with yoga and how I try and focus on a spot to stay steady. It reminded me of being on the water and how hard it is to stay steady with all the waves, all the ups and downs and that is life!

June 23, 2017

I tried yoga several years ago Sabrina, and balance was a real issue for me too. One day I’m going to try it again, remember to find that focus 🙂

June 23, 2017

It reminds me of the story about Peter walking on the water until he takes his eyes of Jesus. I’m still learning, Sarah.

June 23, 2017
  3. hopeful50 said:

HE IS the only Source of Steady.

June 23, 2017
  4. Lesley said:

Yes, it’s so important to keep our eyes fixed on something steady and unchanging. We were thinking on the same lines today!

June 23, 2017

It wouldn’t be the first time we’re of like mind Lesley 🙂

June 23, 2017
  5. Marie said:

Visiting from FMF!

There’s just something about people in recovery, isn’t there? I learned so much in my three years working at a women’s shelter. Those ladies have an understanding of faith, a level of trust in Jesus, that I admire and aspire to. They showed me, time and time again, just how important is it to keep my eyes fixed on Him.

June 23, 2017

Exactly, Marie. I value the lessons I’m learning from then, especially when I think I’m the one teaching. Love how God reverses that time after time. Thanks for your encouragement.

June 24, 2017
  6. Great essay, Debby. In times past my life did feel like a tilt-a-whirl, but lately…I’ve let go the bar.

I’m going to die, probably sooner rather than later, and there are episodes each day that beg the question…”Is this it?”

And I don’t mind. There are things I would have wanted to complete, but it’s OK that they are left undone. There are people I would have liked to see again, but it’s fine that I don’t, enough was said at our last meeting.

In letting go I keep what’s important…perspective.

June 24, 2017

Profound words, Andrew – in letting go we keep what’s important. Thanks for sharing. You are close the heart and in the prayers of many.

June 24, 2017
  7. Tara said:

Fix our eyes on Jesus! And my balance isn’t great either!

July 14, 2017