MeMe, play with me!

She’s an only child and we are her playmates. I, the least willing to get in the cool water of the pool, to get my hair wet. Her pleas are urgent, “C’mon MeMe….pleeeease.” Play with me is all she wants.

missing her

I can make play about work more than fun. Chasing her on the playground means sweaty and sand in your shoes and hair matted to your face.

It means an extra close shave of the legs before heading to the beach and all the stuff that has to be packed. It means wearing a swimsuit that never looks good! All of this just to play.

Yes, all of this to play with our only grandchild. The one whose squeals of fun part the gathering clouds. Her smile melts my resolve and makes the so-called play refreshing.

Her Baba is her best playmate. They are fish in the water swimming down to be the first to get the toys on the bottom of the pool. They sculpt sandcastles on the shore at the beach and run fast into the tide coming in.

Let me be the gatherer of stuff and plans and time. Let me be the watcher of this show of fun between grandfather and granddaughter. This is how I play. This is my true delight. And to be drawn into it a bit more as an accomplice…yes, it’s worth the extra as joy always is.

SaveSave

25 thoughts on “MeMe, play with me!

1. Andrea

Hello, #fmfparty neighbor! You had me at grandchild. I really enjoyed your words and photos. I, too, am very good at turning play into work so this was good for me to think about today. Maybe our guys are the better playmates because they don’t have to shave their legs. haha!

1. Debby Hudson

Yes! I’m sure that’s it Andrea. And their swimsuits are a lot more forgiving! Good to meet a kindred spirit.

2. Carlene Hill Byron

Hi from FMF!

3. Christy

Shave? Who’s looking that close? I guess I’ve gotten lazy in my old age, hahaha. Those memories y’all are making will be with her always. She wont remember that your legs weren’t shaved, or what your swimsuit looked like. She will remember your beautiful glowing face. At my new place in the number 32 spot this week.

1. Debby Hudson

Ha! My husband has told me if someone is looking that close at my legs there’s a more serious issue πŸ˜‰ Thanks for your encouraging words Christy. Your blog title is a perfect fit for this prompt!

2. Debby Hudson

Christy – I tried leaving a comment on your blog but had trouble logging in and it says you have to be logged in to comment. I quite enjoyed your post today and your new site looks great. Very inviting. Looking forward to more time at your place.

4. Joanne Viola (@JViola79)

Debby, I always enjoy reading posts about grandchildren πŸ™‚ I am sure your granddaughter will remember Baba (LOVE that name!) for being her playmate. And she will remember you for other meaningful deposits into her life. We all play a part in one another’s lives which is what makes relationships so precious. Blessings!

1. Debby Hudson

Joanne, when she was little Papa came out Baba and it stuck. Then we found out that in one of the African dialects Baba means father. I’ve loved it ever since. She and I are carving out our niche. And yes, it is so precious. Thank you.

5. hopeful50

Why did you have to bring up bathing suits?

1. Debby Hudson

HaHa! I know Susan…such a horror! πŸ˜‰

6. Tara

Oh Debby, don’t worry about what others think. Take time to play with them both. She’ll treasure these memories forever. I’m in the 5 spot this week.

1. Debby Hudson

I think what I think is worse than others, Tara! πŸ˜‰ The times we spend with her have their own elements of fun. Even if work is part of it. Grateful for that too.

7. Lisa Brittain

Thanks for sharing your view on {play}, Debby! Your pictures say so much and add to the beauty of the written word. Oh and who cares about shaved legs and swimsuits. Just go, enjoy, and have fun…play!

1. Debby Hudson

Living in South Florida, we see a lot of ‘expressions’ on the beach so I’ll keep shaving my legs πŸ˜‰ But I know what you mean, Lisa…moments and memories are more important than the external. Glad you stopped by.

8. Lesley

I relate to getting worried about all the details too much to let go and play sometimes, but it is worth it when we do!

1. Debby Hudson

Oh, yes, Lesley…it’s worth it!

9. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

This is beautiful, Debby. I never had much to do with kids, and in vignettes like this one I can at least see what I missed in life, and enjoy it at a somewhat wistful distance.

#2 at FMF this week.

1. Debby Hudson

I believe we can reap happiness from watching the exchange of joy in others, Andrew. I know you share joy in this community through your faithful encouragement. Thank you.

10. Marie

It is so precious to me that you and your husband are intentional about spending time with your granddaughter. None of my grandparents ever did that, and it’s left a hole in my heart. Good on you!

1. Debby Hudson

Oh, Marie, I’m sorry you don’t have memories of precious time with your grandparents. Every family is so different and we often don’t what we’ve missed at the time. It’s surely their loss too. May God fill the places in your heart that need an extra measure of his love. So glad you stopped by. xx

11. mareedee2016

Now that sounds like an absolutely amazing day. What a wonderful grandparent you are. I look forward to grandkids.

1. Debby Hudson

I’m pretty sure she’s the one that brings out the fun in all of us, Mareedee. Glad you stopped by.

12. Martha G. Brady

what fun:) we’re looking forward to seeing some of our grands in WA in august and that will be on the ocean.

1. Debby Hudson

Let me know if you get in the ocean out there Martha. I’m guessing that water is COLD! But it is beautiful country out there. Enjoy!