Summer’s pull to let some things hang

They are gathering for Saturday breakfast in the back area of Panera Bread. This group of 10 or so are dressed in their church clothes; men wearing ties and most of the women are in dresses.

Her hands were full as she held a plate in one hand and coffee in the other when another woman put her arms around her shoulders and whispered in her ear. The older woman nodded and said, with a resigned smile in her voice, “I’m just gonna let it hang”. I looked down to notice the lacy edge of her slip hanging below the hem of her dress.
How old do you have to get before you decide to just let it hang? To not be bothered with it or embarrassed by it? to loosen your grip? to let it go?
The only time I’ve stepped outside our house without makeup has been to walk to the mailbox. The one exception for early morning walks and even then I wear sunglasses.
I’ve had nightmares that I was someplace in shorts or a skirt only to notice I hadn’t shaved my legs. Nightmares!
I’m not going to stop shaving my legs or wearing mascara but maybe there are some things I need to let hang.
Things to not care so much about
How to load the dishwasher
Drivers that don’t get out of my way
Which lane is shorter/moving faster
Cellulite (it happens)
How many likes my photo gets on Instagram
The newest iPhone/car/eyeglasses….you get the idea
Getting older
Your turn. What’s on your list?
Summer has been the time of the year that calls out in its long days to slow down….relax….let it go. Now might be the best time to cultivate a new freedom.
Put the map away for a day or week and wander. And enjoy the wonder of creation.

22 thoughts on “Summer’s pull to let some things hang

1. nobleforevermore

I was much the same-You never caught me without a full face of makeup in my 20’s and before. Now through a few life lessons I learned that 1) your real friends don’t care if you have makeup on 2) my spouse actually prefers to see my freckles and crinkles 3) my complexion becomes clearer and more beautiful without the makeup.

Having psoriasis, I also never (ever) wore shorts. Now I do. That was hugely freeing.

1. Debby Hudson

I like the freeing part nobleforevermore. That’s the goal. Good for you and thanks for your encouraging words.

2. Bree Durham

Love your blog and especially this drawing of yours. I love Tolkien & his message. It’s true, those who Wonder are NOT lost!! I remember pondering the meaning of life when I was 7 years old. I still wonder-now I’m 69 and less to ponder.

1. Debby Hudson

I guess thinking big thoughts runs in the family aunt Bree 🙂

3. Linda Stoll

i had to smile when i read the word Panera … some of my clients loved to meet there instead of my office back in NY. and i shared many a cup of tea and tears and stories with a dear friend in 2 leather chairs tucked in a quiet nook.

you’ve stirred my heart, Debby.

1. Debby Hudson

I enjoyed seeing the woman’s reaction and her “no worries” attitude. There’s an interesting mix of community in this Panera. We like it. Glad good memories were stirred for you, Linda.

4. Christy

hmmmm….the stubble on my legs hang…the hair’s pretty light, so it’s not so noticeable. I shave a couple of times a monthish. However, pits are a different story. I’ll venture past the mailbox without makeup, but I don’t usually wear a lot anyway. I’ve started wearing shorter slips so I don’t have to worry that they’ll hang.

I’ve gotta have the dishwasher loaded close to right, the dishes get cleaner that way.

1. Debby Hudson

You make me smile Christy. I’ve lightened up on the dishwasher – a little. And if I had light colored hair on my legs – girl I’d be there with you. Going out in public can be so much work! 😉

5. Annie Rim

This made me laugh. I am NOT good at letting things hang. Sometimes kids make me better at it; sometimes they make me more aware of my inadequacies. I’m learning to lighten up about our playroom-living room overflow; about being on time; and about my messy messy desk.

1. Debby Hudson

I think all of us have the things that bother us but not others and vice versa. And we usually marry the people who do the things that bother us 😉 I’m a lot less fussy about having things just right for guests than I use to be but some stuff…well, you know how it is Annie 😉

6. Valerie Sisco at Grace with Silk

Debby,
    I love this! As I get older, I now realize the energy it takes to keep all things bobbing in the sea of perfection. I’m with you, though, that I don’t leave the house without makeup but maybe it’s okay not to be so tense about everything and let it relax it a little! xo

1. Debby Hudson

I guess the funny thing is, Valerie, that most people probably don’t even realize I wear makeup except lipstick. That’s one thing a friend and I agree that after a certain age, a woman’s lips seem to disappear. I am past that certain age 😉

7. Lesley

I agree, there are some things that are not worth bothering about but it is very easy to get caught up in thinking about them and wanting them to be perfect. And I can’t even remember the last time I left the house without makeup!

1. Debby Hudson

The last time I didn’t wear mascara (which has been years) people asked if I was tired or not feeling good. I learned I’d rather take a few swipes of mascara and look awake Lesley. It’s only recently I don’t wear it I’m going to be home all day. Not a bad thing 🙂

8. Nicole Kauffman

Ah, yes! We all need a little bit more of this approach! I definitely tend to make such insignificant things a huge deal. So I’m taking your advice today and letting some things hang!

1. Debby Hudson

Hi, Nicole. Summer seems the best time to ‘go with the flow’. Think I’ll join you in letting a few things hang. Just not the mascara 😉

9. Liz Giertz

I haven’t worn any make up aside from mascara for about 3 days!! And I don’t think I’ve shaved my legs this month! LOL!!! I threw away my old razor when we moved, and I keep forgetting to buy a new one! Hoping I can keep some of this carefree attitude into fall and winter! Blessings!

1. Debby Hudson

Hi, Liz. Living in South Florida, not shaving doesn’t seem a good option for anyone 😉 Though I push it as long as I can. Yet I remember thinking how I couldn’t wait until mama would let me shave my legs. If only I knew what was ahead. Yes, carefree and summer go together. Not bad for fall and winter too! Thanks for stopping by.

10. Michele Morin

Thank you for this injection of Tolkien wisdom to this topic. Really, we need to give ourselves grace and then extend it to others. I’m going to be watching for things today that can just hang without my attention!

1. Debby Hudson

It does seem something we need to be intentional about doesn’t it Michele? Somedays it’s more challenging than others but we keep pressing on – together. Your wise words are always welcome here.

11. Barbie Swihart

I started wearing my plain face to the store after baby # 4 made his entrance. I use to wear a lot more makeup out. Now it’s just foundation, a little blush, lipgloss and eyeliner. I don’t bother with mascara because my lashes are so short. These days, I’m learning to not be so much of a control freak. I sing “let it go” to myself a thousand times a day. Thanks for sharing at #glimpses this week!

1. Debby Hudson

That song has become an anthem for many, hasn’t it Barbie? I’m still working on some of the bigger things, like control. Good to see you here.