Sweet Comfort {literally}

Comfort is a word with a double edge.

We are urged to get out of our comfort zone and curb our indulgence in our comfort foods, the pint of Ben and Jerry’s we crave at the end of a hard day….not our best go-to.

Comfort is familiar. It is routine and known and safe.

It is also complacency and hiding and avoidance. When does the contentment that soothes your soul become bad?

Harder still is the answer. The answer for me isn’t the same for you. And it seems to change, starting with the disclaimer: it depends.

It’s not that comfort is bad, maybe it’s that we don’t always look for it in the best places. To be honest, I’d rather toss back a few almond M&M’s than recall a verse of scripture or inspiring quote. Comfort=easy=lazy=not real comfort

Most would say it’s about balance. The truth about balance is that it’s elusive. It’s not 50-50 as I’ve mistakenly believed. We grab our doses of ease when we can. We stay in our zone. We lap up conversation with a good friend because it tastes better than ice cream and is calorie free. Or maybe we share the conversation over the sweet comfort of ice cream or cookies or pie – yes pie…with ice cream!

While we’re at it, let’s put our favorite play list on in the background and talk about the last good book we read. Let’s laugh at our silly mistakes. Let’s get comfortable with the rhythms of life and let’s make space for grace, the truest comfort.

1. Gabriele said:

The words “make space for the truest comfort” captured me this morning. It is not the cheapest or the quickest, that is for sure.

July 14, 2017

No, it isn’t the cheapest or quickest is it, Gabriele? I guess that’s why it’s easier to reach for the comfort food. Thank you, friend.

2. hopeful50 said:

GRACE, the best Comfort! And, mac n cheese on a chilly fall night. ♥

July 14, 2017

Mac and cheese is our granddaughter’s favorite ANY day. She even likes the homemade kind 🙂

3. Amy Boyd said:

Hi Debby! So true- comfort is a double edged concept and so is this thing called “balance”! Thanks for the reminder to seek both a balance, and the source of our truest comfort.

Thanks, Amy. I always do my best at complicating what looks to be simple 😉

4. Cathy said:

Excellent thoughts on comfort.

5. Lesley said:

It’s definitely easy to look for comfort in the wrong places. I love your observation that grace is the truest comfort- when we know there is grace we can be comfortable to be ourselves.

July 14, 2017

And that may be our biggest challenge, Lesley – being comfortable to be ourselves. Grace…always grace.

6. Tara said:

Grace…yes! 🙂 I love where you went with this post. My current fave album is Ellie Holcomb’s Red Sea Road. I’m in the 54 spot this week.

7. Marie said:

This was an interesting read. We humans, we just have such a talent for taking good things and running amok, thereby making them bad things. How thankful I am that we have a Reedmer!

July 14, 2017

You know what they say, Marie…too much of a good thing, wait, I think that ends is still a good thing. 😉 You know what I mean. And yes, you’re right, we do.

July 14, 2017
  8. Debby, there are two things I really love about this post.

First, that comfort does not necessarily equal ease. For me, pain is comfort – my illness, my enemy, is in the open, and I can fight on level ground.

Second, the heading picture. I have not been grocery shopping in a couple of years – too ill to leave the house – and today I asked Barbara if they still made Oreos.

Yes, she did look at me as if I had just grown a send head, but bit down her shock to say, “Yes.”

#1 at FMF this week.

July 15, 2017

I’d never thought of comfort in pain so thank you for sharing your perspective. I get that now. And please, have an Oreo! They’re more my husbands favorite than mine but I won’t turn them down 🙂

July 17, 2017
  9. Debby, this is an important message. I’m guilty of looking for comfort in places other than Christ, and I appreciate your call to sit in the discomfort until it drives me to the true source of peace instead of seeking temporary solutions.

July 20, 2017