Lost wasn’t on the map

My husband is the adventurer, the explorer. He wants to climb mountains and hike trails. I want to take photos of both. We enjoy the outdoors but our approach is different.

Last summer we were on a trail off the Blueridge Parkway in North Carolina. It promised waterfalls and mountain vistas. We got unmarked trails, muddy paths and the sound of distant traffic that mimicked the sound of water.

He was slogging along behind me, making sure my feet were steady on the uneven trail, swinging on a limb to cross over the mud holes. He and my brother didn’t have a care that we’d walked far longer than we should have and no idea if we were still on the trail.

My niece spotted an owl in a tree and there were a few wild berries to attract my attention but I was certain, we were lost.

Lost is not where I want to be. I’ve been there before, maybe you have too. Being found can’t come soon enough. I suggested we might have gotten off the trail. They were certain we’d end up in the right place.

The short story is the advertised 1.5-hour hike took us 3. The only waterfall we saw was 1/4 mile from the start of our hike and I’m still convinced it wasn’t the one indicated on the map.

The bible story about the lost son is, perhaps, my favorite bible story. The son who left his family to make his own way. He left with his inheritance. His wealth attracted friends and good living until it was gone. The friends left and he ended up dumpster diving for food. He was lost to his stubbornness and pride. He was in a foreign city in a life he never imagined, which was barely a life at all.

The happy ending is a father who met him with open arms. A father who didn’t say โ€˜I told you so’ but threw a party. He gave thanks for the son he thought lost was found.

There are times we’ve been lost and not known it. We’re determined our plans will work out, eventually. We don’t ask for directions. We don’t reach out for help. If we’re fortunate, a moment of clarity will come. Or our bellies will be hungry for more than wild berries. Maybe a park ranger comes by. When our pride is gone we’re ready to accept help.

Getting lost doesn’t mean we stop taking vacations or adventures. It does mean we check our preparations and pride. We’re willing to take suggestions and accept guidance.

We’re going on another hike this summer. We have a new trail that promises more waterfalls. I think we’ll find them this year.

15 thoughts on “Lost wasn’t on the map

1. Linda Stoll

oh you’ve captured some glorious shots along the trail, Debby …

and I’ll remember this line, for sure –>’Getting lost doesnโ€™t mean we stop taking vacations or adventures. It does mean we check our preparations and pride.’

applicable to us in more than one way, for sure.

1. Debby Hudson

Yes, most definitely there are more ways than one this applies. I’m thankful God uses all of the creation to teach us, Linda.

2. Mama's Empty Nest

Your hubby sounds just like mine. He enjoys taking the unbeaten path, the road to who knows where just to see where it goes. Me? I want a map and clear directions. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve feared we were lost but hubby was totally unconcerned, and of course, we weren’t truly lost at all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Debby Hudson

You know, Cindy, in an emergency, he’s one of the people I want to have with me. So I guess I’ll keep going on these adventures with him ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Lisa notes...

I don’t like being lost either. ๐Ÿ™ It’s such an uncomfortable feeling; I’d rather be in control. lol. But this: “Getting lost doesnโ€™t mean we stop taking vacations or adventures. It does mean we check our preparations and pride. Weโ€™re willing to take suggestions and accept guidance.” May I have a humble attitude! Thanks for sharing this, Debby.

1. Debby Hudson

I’m pretty fond of control too, Lisa. At times I really struggle with it. Maybe that’s why God keeps giving me this living lessons ๐Ÿ™‚

4. judikruis

Right path or wrong – definitely things to learn and beauty to be seen. I pray the path this year is filled with even greater things!! bless you <3

1. Debby Hudson

Surely that’s why Jesus used parables, right Judi? Now we live them ourselves. Back to North Carolina next month but on to a new trail.

5. Michele Morin

I love the owl shot!
    But getting lost . . . just reading about your trail and your map gives me a queasy feeling. Thanks for the parables application and for sharing your good story.

1. Debby Hudson

I wish we could have gotten a clearer shot of the owl but as it was, I handed the camera to my brother who was maybe a foot closer. A whole 12″! I guess you can tell we’re all city folks ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for being such an encouragement here Michele. You words are appreciated.

6. Valerie Sisco at Grace with Silk

Debby,
    I love the photo of the owl – how gorgeous! Of course your post title drew me in since it seems I’m always getting lost no matter where I’m headed. ๐Ÿ™‚ And I loved your description that you and your husband both love the outdoors but your approach to it is different — that is so great! xo

7. sarahgirl3

I would probably have been so anxious that I would have missed all the beauty along the way!

1. Debby Hudson

That’s a good point, Sarah. I know I’ve missed things because of that reason. These days, I’m looking for the beauty. Just wish I could remember to do that in all situations.

8. Bev @ Walking Well With God

Debby,
    Being from NC, aren’t the trails along the Blue Ridge Mtns. a great place to get lost?! Just wanted to stop by and wish you well in your upcoming career change….praying God’s peace upon your decision and direction for the future. God is always changing us and calling us to a deeper walk with Him and He never leaves us lost. Glad you enjoyed my TMI honesty lol.
    Blessings,
    Bev xx

1. Debby Hudson

Definitely better than getting lost in Arizona! We’re going to hike up there again next weekend. A nice break from August in South Florida, Bev.