What do you collect?

He picks up a shell from the shore. “This looks like a heart….sort of”, he says. Yes, it does, sort of. Close enough to add to the other sort of heart-shaped shells we collect. You tend to find what you’re looking for. We look for hearts.

No special reason except the first time we spied a shell that resembled a heart it seemed special. They aren’t made in heart shapes. It’s not how they are designed by our creator. At least not the ones lining our beaches. That started our hunt and turned our eye looking for the different. The shells that are surely meant for us.

I’m a collector, sort of, who doesn’t want a bunch of stuff. The kind that has to be carefully dusted and grows to more than your shelves can hold. I don’t tell people I have a fondness for black and white cows because your congregation and employees will give you cows on every occasion for the next ….well, forever! (Forget I said I like cows 😉

We all collect something. Some of us seem to collect aches and pains, our woes are out there for everyone to hear. Some of us collect friends and some collect more manageable things like shells.

What I most like to collect are stories. Some about grace, some about grief; some about love, some about loss. All about living out life in its fullness.

This is a collection I want to grow. There is always room for more stories. There is always room for more grace.

14 thoughts on “What do you collect?

1. Julie Dibble

Hi Debbie, love, love, love how your post ends. Yes to more stories! Yes to honoring those who are called to share their stories and be used by Him for His good purposes. Next week on my blog, there is another guest sharing her story. So privileged to be a part of His Kingdom work.

1. Debby Hudson

It is, indeed, a privilege Julie. Happy to join you in it.

2. hopeful50

yes. yes. yes. We went to the same place today in our writing!

1. Debby Hudson

I’m not even surprised Susan 🙂

3. Tara

There is indeed more room to collect each other’s stories. I collect nativity scenes myself. I have a friend who is always looking for heart finds: a heart shaped rock, the foam in her coffee, etc. I’m in the 3 spot this week.

1. Debby Hudson

Tara, when it comes to Christmas related things, I’m afraid I collect too much. I have a few nativities and would probably have more if they didn’t take up so much space. I think that’s a great collection to have.

4. Cathy S

I love walking along a beach and collecting shells, but like you I want to collect, but I don’t want a bunch of stuff setting around. But collecting stories is a great idea. I love to hear stories. And you are right there is always room for more grace!!

1. Debby Hudson

I think every writer is a collector of stories Cathy. It comes naturally I guess 🙂

5. Amy

oh wow! I love the direction you went with this! Yes, we need more people to hear the stories and keep them safe as well as celebrate the growth and joy and blessings that come out of them!

1. Debby Hudson

Thanks, Amy. I like the idea stories need to be kept safe. Oh yes!

6. Marie

The stories are the things that matter. God’s story. Our stories of redemption. The winding roads we travel. The places He’s found us when we’ve wandered off. That’s what lasts. Thank you for this reminder.

(Also, here: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/791067045991358464/yy_F__YU.jpg. I couldn’t resist).

1. Debby Hudson

Oh, Marie, I’m glad you didn’t resist! It’s always nice to get a happy surprise. These are all pieces of the larger story. xx

7. Andrew Budek-Schmeisser

Oh, Debby, you reminded me that I used to look for heart-shaped rocks in the desert! And I looked around…and found one I had saved, gracing my workbench. Thank you!

#1 at FMF this week.

1. Debby Hudson

Funny how some things can be overlooked by so many and treasured by others. Glad you saw beauty in the shape of a rock, Andrew.