Illusive inspiration

The prompt is inspire but I’m not feeling it. Inspired, that is. What do you do when you need to conjure up inspiration?

In photography, I scroll through my favorite Instagram feeds or type in a specific look on Google image and hope for others to inspire me. Sometimes the spark comes right away and other times it’s just beyond my reach.

I like how inspiration starts like the flicker of a flame and works its way through me. Sometimes it’s like foamy bubbles on a frosted glass of root beer that tickle my nose. That tiny flicker, bubble or seed of an idea feels good.

It comes when I’m driving and can’t commit words to paper or, like so many others, when I’m in the shower. If the words are good, I tell myself, they’ll stick. Most often they don’t.

The trouble with inspiration is I want it to fuel me to move; to act, to do something, make something, be something. But what if there are times inspiration is only meant to make me recognize the Creator? What if the great works of art are meant to inspire worship? What if this expanse of shoreline where we breathe in God’s handiwork is meant to inspire gratitude and not another blog post or painting?

Maybe inspiration isn’t always meant to fuel doing but being.

14 thoughts on “Illusive inspiration

1. Katha von Dessien

Inspiration is being rather than doing. I love that! I can definitely relate since inspiration is rare these days for me. Might need to be for a while. Thanks for sharing, Debbie!

1. Debby Hudson

Katha, sorry to hear inspiration is rare for you. Maybe it’s time to sit with it and be. Praying for fresh eyes to see God’s breath in all of life.

2. juliedibblewrites

Thank you Debby. I can relate to seeking images and have thoughts while driving when we are less likely to record them. Thank you so much for pointing us to Him, that maybe that sudden inspiration is praise or revelation or something just between us and Him. May God bless you, Julie

1. Debby Hudson

Thanks for your words, Julie. I like thinking sometimes it is just between us and God. That’s a lovely thought.

3. Lesley

The challenge with inspiration is that you can’t control it. It comes at awkward moments when you can’t do much with it and then won’t come when you’re trying to create something and actually have time! I like your point though that it’s not always about doing but being, and that sometimes the purpose of the inspiration is to draw us to gratitude or worship.

1. Debby Hudson

Ah, control. A theme in my life, Lesley. I keep trying to control it all but, thankfully, God intervenes.

4. hopeful50

Ya know your work and dedication to the SA? THAT inspires me. Every time you post a photo of those big men praising God. True Inspiration.

1. Debby Hudson

Susan, they inspire me too. We have a group who have formed a band. They play during chapel most weeks though they can’t lead the praise and worship. Most of them are new to the music of the church. But their hearts are in the right place and they’re offering their talents to the Lord. Oh, how God uses these ragamuffins to inspire me too. xx

5. Tara

Yep THIS: “Maybe inspiration isn’t always meant to fuel doing but being.” Great post!

1. Debby Hudson

Thank you, Tara. FMF is often more learning from the prompt. Always a good soul exercise.

6. Jennifer

I have purposefully seeking those things that inspire me recognize the Creator – and to praise Him for all that He has done! But, I will admit, it does take purpose…..or, so often, I look right past it.

1. Debby Hudson

So true, Jennifer. It does take intention every day. {sigh} Thanks for sharing.

7. Marie

“What if the great works of art are meant to inspire worship?”

I believe this. We in the Protestant tradition struggle with knowing how to use the arts to glorify God. We worry that we’re straying from the good and simple path of righteousness if we feel moved by paintings or songs. But God loves beauty. He made this beautiful world, and we know that it’s but a shadow of the beauty to come. I don’t doubt that He uses art to draw us into worship.

1. Debby Hudson

I agree, Marie. We had the opportunity to tour Rome several years ago and what a visual feast it was to see even the smaller churches with fresco’s painted centuries ago. It was awe inspiring. I hope to understand and practice that type of worship more.