What I’m Learning {July edition}

I’m trying to get back into the practice of sharing a What we Learned, or learning, post. At one time, Emily Freeman had a monthly link-up of these type of posts on her blog. I found them helpful in recognizing things I’d learned or discovered. We go about our lives on auto pilot that I liked acknowledging the specifics filling my days.

This will be a compilation of learning and favorites. Though not limited to July, they are recent.

On my ‘thumbs down’ list:

Hanes thigh-high stockings
Basically, any stockings are on my thumbs down list but since I’m required to wear a uniform in my role as a Salvation Army officer, stockings are part of that when the skirt is required. In South Florida, I find the thigh-high style to be cooler (thanks to my cousin who recommended them). However, I went through two pairs in two days at $7 a pair last month. Not good.

Heels
This is related to the above. I haven’t ever been able to find a pair of comfortable, uniform-compliant, heels. I try for special occasions but they hurt and when I hurt people around me hurt. Enough said.

So glad these uniforms when out of style 100 years ago!

Makes life easier department:

Walmart Grocery pick up – WIN!
I’ve used this free service three times and each time has been a positive experience. They have my order ready earlier than requested time. They call ahead to notify me and give clear instructions on where to pick up. I’ve had few substitutions which have never resulted in more cost. Once the didn’t have the small size I requested, replaced it with the larger at no extra cost. I don’t even go inside the store. Did I say mention this service is free? 🙂

Scan to Digital
I was asked to make a video for a special celebration for friends. She presented me with nearly two hundred photographs that would need to be scanned. YIKES! There was no way I or my Administrative Assistant could spend the time scanning these so I looked for a service and found this one. Their price is lower than most and the quality was excellent. They kept the digitals in the same order the photos were sent which was important in this case. My order was completed in less than two weeks including mailing back and forth. The total was well under $50.00. Another win!

Read & Reading

Chasing Slow: Courage to Journey off the Beaten Path by Erin Loechner

I expected a book about tips on slowing down. It wasn’t what I expected. It was better. This isn’t a book filled with tips or how-to. It chronicles a part of the author’s life that seems to be a continuing struggle for her driven, creative type. I enjoyed her relatable writing style.

I’m currently reading What Falls from the Sky: How I Disconnected from the Internet and Reconnected with the God Who Made the Clouds by Esther Emery

I have no plans to disconnect from the internet. However, I am intrigued as to the why’s and how’s of this decision. I’m not too far into her story and it’s interesting to see how far she takes this year-long experiment and the ramifications it has on her life. Emery includes the use of credit/debit cards and a cell phone. Definitely a book to consider.

The Perennial Gen blog is a new discovery for me. It’s also a fairly new blog. As the title hints, it’s target audience is described in its tagline: “Growing deeper roots in the dirt and light of midlife (and beyond)” Yes, it’s for us baby-boomers. I discovered it from an editor of another blog who told me my writing might be a good fit for them. I think she was telling me I’m old but in the nicest of ways, of course.

Bonus Round

Grammarly is another free tool recommended by Kate Montaug from Five-Minute Friday link up. Once you download (free) and install it, it will highlight spelling and grammar issues. It’s available for MAC and PC. I’m not including a link since it would be specific to Apple products.

Share something you’ve learned this summer in the comments. Thank you!

I am not an affiliate for any products, books, websites, services, etc. I included links to make it easier for those of you who may be interested in the things I’ve mentioned.

SaveSave

21 thoughts on “What I’m Learning {July edition}

1. Jodie

I’ve been wearing the block heel shoes lately with ankle straps, and I’ve been surprised at how comfy they are—even when I’m walking or standing tons!!!
    Jodie

1. Debby Hudson

Hi, Jodie. That’s good to know. I’ll have to check that out. I’ve always had good luck with Clarke’s but even their moderate heels prove uncomfortable after long periods of standing. Thaks for the tip.

2. Lisa notes...

Ugh, I haven’t worn stockings in years, so bless you, Debby! 🙂 I’m sorry there still aren’t any great ones out there. We have the Walmart pickup option at my local store but I’ve only used it once. I need to take advantage of it more often myself! Thanks for the reminder. The books you’re reading sound so good to me. Love getting new ideas for books.

1. Debby Hudson

Lisa, I confess that I read more fiction than non. When I found out I could check out books from our library on my iPad it ramped up my reading. I’m more selective about non-fiction reads. These both read like memoirs so if you’re a fan of that style you’ll like it. Thanks for commenting.

3. Marie

I know some things about the Salvation Army – Catherine Booth is a hero of mine – but why the uniforms? What’s the purpose behind that?

1. Debby Hudson

She’s a hero of mine too, Marie. She and William had a marriage that was ahead of their time. Ah, the uniforms…..yes I wonder why they’ve lasted this long too but many of my fellow officers don’t share my views. In the beginning, I believe it was because William Booth declared we were in a war against sin (aka Salvation Army) and uniforms made us more recognizable. In the mid-1800’s uniforms were viewed differently than some see them today. I am more often mistaken for a flight attendant or pilot than people recognizing I’m part of The Salvation Army. I guess that’s our fault. Thanks for your question. I could go but I’ll spare you 😉

4. Barb Brookbank

Oh my gosh, I just love this style of post! Thank you for all the inspiration! and ummm, stockings and heels are evil 😉 right?

1. Debby Hudson

A resounding YES – stockings and heels are evil! Thanks for singing in my choir, Barb 🙂

5. Annie Rim

Love this mix! I’ll have to check out scan to digital…. I’m about to start Woman Warrior, a memoir about a Chinese-American woman. Have heard great things about it anyway and then it was referenced a few times in “Art of Memoir” by Mary Karr…

1. Debby Hudson

Don’t you enjoy doing these type of posts, Annie? No internal pressure for these and it helps me measure the good things.

6. sarahgirl3

Yep, I avoid panty hose like the plague and rarely wear heels. Love my flip flops when I can wear them. 😉
    Those books sound good!

1. Debby Hudson

Flip flops are the best, aren’t they Sarah?

7. Lesley

It’s great to hear more about your month. The stockings and heels don’t sound like fun but I like the book recommendations and I’ve heard Grammarly being mentioned a few times but haven’t looked into it yet. I’ll have to check it out!

1. Debby Hudson

It’s interesting trying to keep track of things but a good practice, Lesley. So many books, too little time though.

8. hopeful50

Oh my goodness that picture of the sgt major with the whipping stick!

1. Debby Hudson

Isn’t that a crazy photo, Susan? Henry and I can remember when our moms wore bonnets. Those were a lot more attractive but couldn’t have been fun to wear.

9. Barbie

I have not worn a pair of stocking in years. I can’t imagine wearing them now. I’ve heard great things about the Wal-Mart grocery delivery and my have to give it a try. Thanks for recommending another mid-life blogger to me. Blessings!

1. Debby Hudson

Barbie, I recently had to buy ANOTHER pair of hose and it’s summer!

10. Mama's Empty Nest

Stockings and heels – can’t stand them any more, so I sympathize with you. Good to hear the grocery delivery was a win. I haven’t checked to see if it’s available here in our neck of the woods.

1. Debby Hudson

Hi, Cindy. I went to schedule a grocery pickup yesterday and they didn’t have the store closest to us listed 🙁 Oh well, there’s a traditional grocery a lot closer. But today I got to wear flip-flops- YAY!

1. Mama's Empty Nest

I’ll take flip-flops over heels any day! Well, except when it snows here. 😉