Try it, you’ll like it, maybe {#fmf}

As parents and caretakers we urge children to try it; the broccoli, swim lessons, piano, and sleeping with the light off. We stand beside them, urging them through life. “Just give this a try, you never know”, we say.

As adults, when the urge to try something comes from outside sources, the resistance is still there. The stubborn woman that I am, I’m more willing to try something that’s my idea. Don’t force me, don’t push me and don’t make me. The old childish behavior speaks up with grown-up resistance.

I want to know the end result before I try something. I want to know that putting my face in the water won’t burn my eyes. I want to know the calamari will be delicious and that I’ll be pitch perfect in the church choir. Fear of failure pushes against trying the fullness of life.

I’m a mediocre swimmer. Putting my head underwater burns my nose and I just can’t get the breathing right. But I love how the water refreshes on hot summer days. I can back stroke across the pool and feel the joy of swimming.

Calamari is meh and I’ll never be the soloist of anything. Those won’t stop me from enjoying a good meal with friends or blasting my favorite music to drown out frustrations of traffic.

My mind keeps going to the verse that says ‘taste and see that the Lord is good’. Try it and see. Just a taste of God’s goodness and you’ll know that His ways are good. You’ll know his love is forever.

“Taste and see that the Lord is good.
    Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!” Psalm 34:8

1. Oh, Debby, thank you for all this. I can relate and love the verse you chose. I am writing it down for my prayer wall. Thank you and God bless

August 4, 2017

Thanks, Julie. Glad the verse speaks to you too.

2. Lesley said:

I’m with you on the stubbornness and often wanting to know how it will turn out before I try, but I love this: “Fear of failure pushes against trying the fullness of life.” It is good to be open to giving things a try.

August 4, 2017

I think I’m afraid of looking inept, Lesley. Fear is seldom truthful. We have to keep trying.

3. Tara said:

One of my fave verses “Taste and see that the Lord is good.” I may not be a great singer either but I’m still going to jam to my music. I may be afraid to try Calamari but I’m going to at least try it. I’m in the 5 spot this week.

August 4, 2017

I thought the calamari was a bit chewy, Tara. I’ve refused trying oysters based on their looks – yuck!

4. atexasgirlblogs said:

Yes, I always tell my son to try new things and the other day he turned those words around on me when we went to the lake and I let him know I was scared to go into the water. He said just try I will hold your hand. Have a great day.

August 4, 2017

Don’t you love it when our kids use our words on us? 😉 But what a sweet boy to offer to hold your hand. Sounds like you’re teaching him well, atexasgirlblogs.

August 4, 2017

I needed these thoughts this morning, Debby…. I get caught up in the perfectionism of not trying – learning to remember that God has so much for me if I simply taste.

August 4, 2017

That’s really what it is, isn’t it Annie? Wanting to get everything right the first time. It’s so unrealistic and stifling. I’m not giving up.

6. hopeful50 said:

I just love Psalm 34.8 and you.

Awe, thanks, Susan. You are such an encouragement. xx

August 4, 2017

Andrew, I think you’ve described calamari perfectly!

7. Marie said:

Even if I wasn’t a vegetarian, calamari would be a big “no.” All sea food, really. It’s just not…right.

I love the verse you shared here. Taking refuge in Him is something I come back to time and time again. I imagine myself climbing right up onto His lap and pouring out all my fears and tears. When I’m wise enough to remember this, He never fails to soothe me right to sleep.

August 4, 2017

I have a niece who “doesn’t eat anything that swims for a living” is how she puts it. I’m choosy but this is a great place to live to dine on delicious seafood, Marie. I know what you mean about when you’re wise enough. You’d think it would be my go-to but I always take the long way.

August 4, 2017
  8. Taste and see! Yes, taste of God’s goodness and know for myself… He is GOOD! Thank you for your encouraging words today!!

August 5, 2017