Take a break

The first time I went white water rafting I insisted we go with a guide. I tend to be an anxious person and not much of an outdoorsy person. I like to know what’s coming and to feel safe.

This is sometimes at odds with the adventurer I married. He grew up boating and camping and hiking. He tells me about walking on train trestles exploring with his friends. I take him at his word with the story about having to swim faster than the snake he realized was in the lake with him. He was pretty excited about our rafting excursion and sure he wasn’t in need of a guide. After all, this is a river in North Carolina and not a particularly rough white water.

the Hudson crew on our first rafting trip ’91
15 years later and we’re still rafting the river every August. Now our son is in the lead spot.

We split up in two rafts. He and his brother would take our sons in one raft and my sister-in-law and I would go with our daughter and guide in our raft.

Most of the river was slow and easy. We’d sat through the orientation to know how to get off the man large rocks just below the surface but our guide steered us clear of those.

He sat in the rear and would call out when to paddle and when we got out of the current he’d say, “Take a break”. Over and over we heard his easy voice call out those words and drawing out the word break. It was more like breeaaakk. We did.

I’ve been down that river several times since then and am planning to go again next week. We’ve moved on from the days of having a guide, feeling more comfortable with the rhythms of the water. But I’m still going to take a break.

I could continue writing and posting while we’re away. There’s internet service at the house we stay in and a few quiet afternoons on the porch. While I could, I don’t think I should. I’ll probably journal while we’re away. It’s a good time to put thoughts down but it’s also a good time to take a break from public writing. We’ll be sharing life face to face. Catching up with friends and sharing hope with a group of men from our ARC (Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center). The stories will keep. Some will be shared but first, it’s break time.

SaveSave

You know I love river rafting! 😉 But, what encouragement! Take a break. It’s hard to admit that we need this, isn’t it. But we all do…. Prayers that this time is restful and rejuvenating, filling and quiet.

August 11, 2017

It is hard to admit, Annie, but your break earlier this summer gave me a boost of encouragement. Thank you, friend. xx

August 11, 2017
  2. Lux G. said:

i haven’t tried rafting yet but it sounds fun..scary, but fun.
    It’s nice to continue that tradition. I see all those smiles and I bet you all have had a great time.

August 11, 2017

Thanks, Lux. This part of the river isn’t like what they show in the movies but it’s enough for me. The best part is sharing it with family and friends.

August 11, 2017
  3. Barbie said:

I’ve never tried river rafting. I have a fear of deep waters, having almost drowned as a teen. Enjoy your time away!

August 11, 2017

I can understand that, Barbie. Fortunately, only a couple of people in our group have ever come out of the raft, the water isn’t real deep and they were pulled in quickly. But, the water is COLD, especially for this FL girl 😉 Today we hiked to a beautiful waterfall. A change of scenery and pace is good for all of us.

August 11, 2017
  4. I am bit scared of this activity. I do enjoy watching photos where people enjoy rafting–but I can never give it a try.

August 21, 2017

Hi, Stephanie. I’m not a strong swimmer, so I stick with the ‘easy’ rafting water AND I make sure to have people I trust in my raft. If you want to give it a try, start small. It really is fun and safe. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you give it a try one day.

August 21, 2017