Guide me gently

When we toured Rome, our guide helped us navigate the crowds through the Vatican. She kept us moving faster than we’d have taken on our own but there was so much to see.

In Turkey, our guide Jim answered questions on bus rides from one area to the next and cautioned us about buying things from street merchants that seemed to magically appear as the doors of our bus opened.

We’ve had tour guides in several countries and a guide on our first white water rafting trip. All of them led with confident knowledge and a patient understanding of the foreign culture.

One year we took a self-guided tour through Gettysburg listening to the audio recording provided.

Whether we are led by a professional guide or an audio one, having someone alongside to help us walk through life provides comforting assurance.

Most of my life guides have been friends and family. I don’t care much for the manuals provided with appliances, the kind that looks as if they’re written in my language but I can’t seem to understand a word. No, I need to see the words lived out. I need to be shown.

Perhaps that’s why Jesus spoke in parables when he taught. He used stories people could relate to. He talked about weddings and soil and being a good neighbor. He told stories about sons who left their families and learned hard lessons and stories about lost sheep.

His stories were a guide to people thousands of years ago and a guide to our lives today. His words are often gentle and I imagine him as a great story-teller with gestures and vocal inflections.

We’re all leading someone. People are watching our words on social media and seeing if they match our actions. What kind of guide are you? Do you lead with mandates or stories?

I need to do better. I need to soften my tone and firm up my actions. I want to be a guide leading others to one greater than me.

Linking up with Five-Minute Friday

SaveSave

1. mendellrachel7 said:

Excellent thoughts. Love your blog! Visiting you as #22 from Five Minute Friday … Blessings!

August 25, 2017
  2. Excellent thoughts. And a great question > What sort of guide am I? We all are guiding someone, somewhere. May I be kind and gentle, guiding others to Jesus.

August 25, 2017

I used to pooh-pooh guides in college. I think it was a pride thing – “I know about this museum/artwork/whatever.” Frank always buys the audio guide and at first I was sooo embarrassed. Until I realized how much I learn from them! Pride is funny, isn’t it? Thankful that Jesus guides from a place of alongside rather than “sage on the stage.”

August 25, 2017

I’m surrounded by do-it-yourself folks. I have my own streak. But it never seems to turn out as well as when I invite a more competent guide, Annie. Yes, I’m thankful for His example of guiding.

August 25, 2017
  4. Lesley said:

I would have loved to hear Jesus tell stories! I love how he made everything relevant and relatable- I agree, it’s much better than just a written manual. Thanks for the encouragement to be that kind of guide to others too.

August 25, 2017

That’s probably why I like reading different translations of the Bible, particularly the Message and VOICE. Both often make the stories more relatable for me, Lesley. Yay, for Bible Gateway!

August 25, 2017
  5. Tara said:

Me too friend, me too! I want to speak and use good words that drip like clover honey. I’m in the 50 spot this week.

August 25, 2017

It takes a community, Tara, and we’re in one that can make a difference.

August 26, 2017
  6. Jennifer said:

I, too, want to be a guide….a guide that leads others to Christ. Very sobering to think that all of our words – including social media words – are words that guide. How necessary it is to guard my words….written, spoken or otherwise. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

August 25, 2017

I do better when I think first, Jennifer. Too often the words come out before the thinking 😉

August 26, 2017
  7. Barbie said:

Great post Debby! I want to guide with love, wisdom, forgiveness and compassion. Have a blessed weekend.

August 25, 2017

Those are beautiful guideposts, Barbie, and so needed in our world.

August 26, 2017
  8. Debby, I love your pictures and the beautiful words you’ve knit together to guide me toward Jesus and His Word. Bless you with love, JOY and wisdom on your journey.

August 26, 2017

Thank you for your kind words and lovely blessing, Lisa. xx

August 27, 2017