Holding firm with the proper support

Palm trees are built to weather the winds of tropical breezes and storms. Their root system looks like millions of thin strands that tend to go straight down. No matter the size of palm tree you’re planting, support braces are required for a minimum of one year. They need the support to keep them in place allowing the roots to grow.

There is one in our front yard. It replaces another that was damaged by lightning. Three 2×4’s are braced to keep it firm. The top swayed as the other palms lining our street did when the winds of Hurricane Irma swept through our city earlier this week. It swayed, but held firm.

rains

I’ve sat on our porch watching the palms in back bend and bow to our fierce summer rains. They are a model of how we can weather the figurative storms in life. Even in creation, God shows us the importance of support. He shows us with the proper planting and care that we may bend and sway but still hold firm.

The past ten days, His support has been emails, texts and phone calls from friends. It has been words of concern and friendship. It’s come from unexpected people and places but He is there.

Fridays I link up with other wordsmiths for Five-Minute Friday.

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSave

Debby, this is beautiful. I remember reading somewhere about a botanist (or an enthusiast?) who tried to replant a Redwood in England. It’s growing still, but not thriving like it would in California. It’s such a reminder that trees are created and formed for their specific environment – kinda like us…. 😉

September 15, 2017

I don’t have a way with plants, Annie. But the lessons from them are simple enough for me to understand.I’m amazed and thankful at how God has woven all of his creation together.

September 16, 2017
  2. “He shows us with the proper planting and care that we may bend and sway but still hold firm.” Isn’t that amazing? May we be faithful to care for that gift… Your imagery of the unwavering palm tree is a great one. I hope you and your family did not sustain significant damage from Irma. (#31 at FMF)

September 15, 2017

Thanks, Susan. We fared better than most at our house and are still working our way through some challenges (mostly with electric being out) where we work. God is faithful.

September 16, 2017
  3. Lesley said:

The trees are a great illustration of how we can weather the storm if we have proper support. I’m glad you’ve known lots of support during the difficulties of the last couple of weeks. I hope things are okay now you’re back at home and that there wasn’t too much damage.

September 15, 2017

Damage was minimal, Lesley. Mostly trees which have brought power lines down and that’s been the biggest challenge. We’re getting through and have much gratitude for God’s provision.

September 16, 2017
  4. hopeful50 said:

Perfect post for post-Irma. Glad you and your men are safely home.

September 15, 2017

Thank you, Susan. I’m confident God is moving in the hearts of the men that will still be revealed.

September 16, 2017
  5. Tara said:

I’m so glad you and your family are safe. I’m in the 6 spot this week.

September 15, 2017

Thanks, Tara. It’s an interesting challenge to be sure. Definitely a time we’ve needed, and felt, supported.

September 16, 2017
  6. jodaley said:

I love the visual of the palms. So glad you’ve felt supported in so many ways during this difficult season.

September 15, 2017

Thank you, Jodaley. God is forever faithful! And palm trees are my favorite of all 🙂

September 16, 2017
  7. judikruis said:

Many prayers these past weeks. You and the men have been very close to heart and will continue to be as FL comes together again!!

September 16, 2017

Thank you, Judi. You are a faithful prayer support and friend! xo

September 16, 2017
  8. Linda Stoll said:

That song, Oceans … my favorite. It kept me company this morning as I readied myself for church.

Debby, I hope you and yours are safe in the trauma, that you’re finding your Heavenly Father holding you close …

September 17, 2017

Thank you, Linda. Because we had to make decisions for others and not just ourselves, we took 80 of the men (others had family to go to and some stayed) and evacuated north. We felt some effects there but nothing like had been forecast. We’ve been home several days and cleaning up but the experience gave the opportunity for God to bring us closer as a community. Now we are watching the development of Hurricane Maria 🙁 And there’s another song I bet you know, Linda….”how do you solve a problem like Maria?” 😉 Thank you for your thoughts, dear friend.

September 17, 2017