Welcome Back {Redemption Stories}

He sat quietly trying not to be seen but he had to come back. He had to try again to get this thing called recovery. He had a piece of it but it’s hard outside our walls.
It’s hard to work your job, go to school, attend recovery meetings and meet with your sponsor – the things that keep you sober. So you miss an AA meeting because your job has left you worn. One becomes five when no one is requiring a signed slip like when you were in the ARC. You don’t have a required group to attend where the tools of recovery will be reinforced. You aren’t surrounded by 99 other men, many supporting and pulling for you. You’re out there. On your own. And sometimes it’s too much.

“Welcome back”, I said as I saw him sitting in the chair outside the Intake office. He’s always been a soft-spoken man and this day perhaps softer as he said, “thanks for having me back.”

Really? As if we wouldn’t or as if we aren’t the ones grateful you chose to come back and regain order and sobriety and peace. Thank you! Thank YOU for knowing this is a safe place.
This story of redemption is one played on repeat. I confess my failures and sins one day and take them up again the next. I fall victim to gossip and pride because it’s hard out there when I stop following the program of following Jesus.

I’m scarcely different from these men who have couch surfed in crack houses or lost their business, their nursing license, their teaching positions, lost it all because of the disease of addiction.

The only difference is that my failures have been kept quiet. It’s like that for most of us. The envy, hate or whatever it is that haunts us makes us no different. Just more presentable. Not to God but to each other.

God stands before us with open arms saying ‘Welcome back’, again and again through his forgiveness and grace.

Thanks for having me back.

1. mendellrachel7 said:

Absolutely! God’s grace is huge! Thank you … (visiting from five minute friday)

October 27, 2017
  2. Lesley said:

This is beautiful- so true that we all need God’s grace and “welcome back” over and over again.

October 27, 2017

Our denomination’s theology adheres to believing “back-sliding” is possible. We believe we can turn our backs and walk away from God’s gift of salvation. I believe it but still, ask myself the silly questions of is it doing this or that. Reality is every day I fall short and his welcome never ends. It’s not an in or out kind of grace and I’m so thankful for that.

October 27, 2017
  3. Thank you for your post. I shared this with my FB friends. I am so thankful for grace. May it change those who receive it!

October 27, 2017

We all need welcome-back to be part of our lives, don’t we? I’m in awe of those who make the long commitment to recovery – it’s exhausting in so many senses of the word. Grace, grace, grace, right?

October 27, 2017

It is, indeed, long-term, Annie. And yes, grace every step of the way.

October 29, 2017
  5. Tara said:

Arms wide open as Christ proclaims “Welcome back.”

October 27, 2017

The prodigal son right in front of us, Tara. Yes!

October 29, 2017

Thanks, Andrew. Sorry for not keeping up with you lately….out of town…life 🙂 Your words are a blessing.

October 29, 2017