The absolutely, extremely important things aren’t things

To walk into the bedroom of our 10-year old granddaughter is to be on sensory overload. Her room is littered, I mean arrnged, with stuffed animals, clothes, shoes, dolls, Legos, more clothes and shoes, drawings, papers, books….did I say clothes?

It takes a lot of coaxing to get her to clean out what she doesn’t need.

I know the differenc between need and want but it’s still something I struggle with myself at times.

Writer, Emily Freeman, recently talked about the essentials. That’s a word with weight. It means absolutely necessary; extremely important.  It’s a word that needs more than a 10-year old maturity to understand. American Girl dolls are essential to her like health insurance is to us. (Oh for the days of childhood!)

Our retirment date is growing closer each day. Two years from now. Lord willing, we will be in another city, another house, another life. Even now, I am considering what our needs will be. The obvious ones are easy. We will need furnishings for the house. We’ve lived in furnished parsonages the past 23 years so this is a big thing. We will need to learn when the garbage is picked up and become familiar with new street names and directions.

But what is essential?

That’s not easy to answer a year and a half away. So I turn that question, as Emily did, to today. In this time of year that schedules get packed and to-do lists get longer, what is essential?

The answer is harder than it sounds. It may vary day to day. Can it even be answered for more than one day at a time?

Today, it’s essential I go to my dental appointment. It’s part of health/self-care. It’s essential that I eat and more beneficial if I eat nutriously.

Our basic human needs are just that: needs. And they are essential.

What is absolutely necessary, extrememly important to me is to know I am loved. To know I have hope. That’s what I desperately need and what I have in Jesus.

Most Friday’s I link up with other writers for Five-Minute Friday a 5-minute free write prompt. And most weeks I take more than 5 minutes. Sorry, not sorry.

SaveSave

1. Linda Stoll said:

Funny, I was asking the same question over at my place this week, Debby! I can think of no better time than right before the holidays to do so.

I do believe that this might be our simplest holiday season ever. And I couldn’t be happier.

Weekend blessings to you, friend …

November 3, 2017

Simpler gets better and better for me too, Linda. Time spent with those you love is the best gift.

2. debbieputman said:

I retired in June and we moved to a new home in a new city and state. I’m enjoying every minute; hope you do too.

3. SUSAN SHIPE said:

Sorry, not sorry? I can tell you’ve been hanging with a ten-year old. LOL! Where WILL you go in less than 2 years?

November 3, 2017

Haha…Susan. plus our daughter works with college students! We bought our retirement home earlier this year in Jacksonville where our daughter and her family live. It’s also a lot closer to Henry’s siblings in Panama City and a whole lot less expensive than living here. We love S Florida but family trumps it all!

4. Anita Ojeda said:

There are days when I wish retirement was much closer than it is! What with Social Security being the way it is, I think I’m supposed to work until I’m 75 or so ;). May God bless you and be with you as you ponder what you need!

November 3, 2017

I have more and more of those days, Anita 😉 I hear you about S.S. There’s some fear mixed with excited anticipation on my part. More opportunities to trust God.

5. Lisa said:

Popping over from Five Minute Friday. I think I now NEED to read the Essential book. 🙂

November 3, 2017

I’ll be seeing if it’s available at our library, Lisa. It does sound like a must-read.

6. Gabriele said:

I love your absolute essentials, to be loved, to be beloved by God.

November 3, 2017

When we are loved by God we know we belong and belonging is what we all need. I think you and I are on the same wavelength with our needs, Gabriele.

7. Lesley said:

Yes, the hope we have in God and knowing we are loved by him is definitely our most important need!

November 3, 2017

He really is the only hope, isn’t he Lesley. And our peace.

8. Tara said:

Our human needs are indeed essential!

November 3, 2017
  9. Love the essay, Debby, and you’re in my prayers for the upcoming retirement.

Essential for me today is to be able to rise each time pain knocks me to the ground. It’s getting harder, but I am not alone.

November 4, 2017

I wonder if the real essential that keeps you getting up is knowing you’re not alone, Andrew 🙂 Very thankful you press on. You’re an encouragement to many.

November 4, 2017
  10. Its exciting to think of all the future holds in store for you…..I love the journey down a new road of life:) I hope you will continue to blog and take us along!!

November 7, 2017

Thanks, Jennifer. This isn’t the last you’ve heard from me on this subject, I’m sure. 😉

November 8, 2017