Excuses or progress? Because you can’t have both

It’s too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy,

IT’S TOO HUMID!

I’m too old, too young, too tired, too broke.

I forgot.

I overslept.

It was too boring.

Excuses are unlimited. I could fill a tiny house with them. Some of them are legitimate but if we’re trying to make progress, they’re unacceptable.

Recently, I’ve realized I’ll choose the easy way over more practice or more work. I’m satisfied with average or just a bit better than whoever is next to me.

There’s nothing wrong with average but I wonder if we’re called to more? Not for the purpose of measuring but because God gives us his best.

“His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to[a] his own glory and excellence,2 Peter 1:3 ESV

My mind is running through a list of reasons of why I can’t do something today. Reasons sound better than excuses but the meaning, and the result is the same.

As Craig Groeschel says, we can make excuses or progress but we can’t make both. Sometimes truth feels harsh. Especially on a Friday morning 🙂

Linking up with Kate Motaung for Five-Minute Friday

1. Sabrina said:

Oh my goodness, everything about this post has me screaming yes over here! Excuses or progress, not both. Reasons sound better than excuses but that’s what they are…all of it!

November 17, 2017

Glad it connected with you, Sabrina. It’s still a battle for me but some days I make progress 🙂

November 17, 2017
  2. Debby, wonderful and inspiring post! I had to share it even before leaving a comment 🙂 It is so true and my desire is for progress today. Blessings!

November 17, 2017

Thanks, Joanne. And thanks for sharing it too. Yes, progress is my desire….if I can get past these excuses! 😉

3. debbieputman said:

Oh, my heart leapt when I read this: “There’s nothing wrong with average, but I wonder if we’re called to more? Not for the purpose of measuring but because God gives us his best.” Something to ponder and act on.

November 17, 2017

It’s one of those balancing things I teeter on Debbie. Guess I’m not alone. Thanks, friend.

4. Hopeful50 said:

Yuk…excuses or progress? Ok. Ok. the treadmill and I will become friends again!

November 17, 2017

I know that, Susan! I’m struggling in that area myself.

5. Lesley said:

I like how that verse from 2 Peter highlights that there really are no excuses because God has given us all we need. It is easy to settle for average at times but I agree, I think we’re called to something more.

November 17, 2017

Yes, Lesley, I think it’s how we can distinguish ourselves in this world. With it all pointing to God.

6. Tara said:

I truly believe we are called to do better.

November 17, 2017

Me too, Tara. Now to act on it more than on Sunday 🙂 (speaking to myself!)

7. Great post!

I have found that sometimes excuses do give progress. I used to keep to an insane workout schedule, and when I ‘made the excuse’ that a joint hurt, it was usually a good thing…because going on on a compromised joint could make exercise impossible. Using the excuse of pain to take a few days off let the progress continue.

#1 at FMF this week.

November 18, 2017

Andrew, please forgive my tardiness in responding. No excuses 😉 You make a good point. There are exceptions to every rule right?

November 22, 2017