Just a little bit closer

Are we almost there?

How much longer?

Closer, baby, we’re getting closer.

journey

In our ever-expanding world, proximity matters. We are fooled to believe technology can fill the role of deep friendship. That being part of an online community can satisfy our need for up-close-and-personal.

I write those words as I plan to contribute them to just one of the online communities I’m part of.

Yes, I’ve developed friends with people I only know from a screen. No, there’s no way that can come close to living life with another.

The photography class I’ve taken online has taught me about still life photography and provided live interactive opportunities with others in the group.

Still, not a substitute for sitting around with others discussing whatever is the topic of the day.

We are even allowing the online church to substitute the gathering with others, messy as we are, to come closer to Christ.

I wonder if Jesus knew. In words written thousands of years ago, we were counseled to not neglect our meeting together. Hebrews 10:25

And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

We live busy lives. We are more mobile and transient and it takes effort to get close to others. Efforts that can be exhausting. I get it. I’m part of it.

We are living centuries after Jesus walked and might wonder how we can be close to him. Maybe it starts with gathering together. In any way, any form we can for the purpose of encouraging each other. To learn more about who Jesus is. And to let Him transform our lives.

From the song, Draw Me Close, by the Katinas:

You’re all I want
You’re all I’ve ever needed
You’re all I want
Help me know you are near

Linking up with Kate Motaung for Five-Minute Friday

SaveSave

1. “I lament a younger generation that may never know the depth of personal connection. The kind that comes from actually being in person. Or is that thinking passe?” … If that’s passe, then we’re both out of touch. I, too, wonder about the longterm effect of faceless communication. We need the “real world” experiences; they inform and undergird our interactions here in this virtual home.

December 1, 2017

I like that Susan. Yes, our ‘in real life’ experiences to inform and lay a foundation for the virtual ones. Thanks for sharing your insight.

2. Jennifer Ingram said:

thanks for a reminder to try a bit harder, extend another invitation for actual, live communion. we do need one another, to learn and to grow.

December 1, 2017

Agree, Jennifer. It seems to take more intention these days but it’s worth it.

3. Lisa Brittain said:

Your photography is inspiring me to pick up a camera again, Debby. Thank you for your encouraging words on {near}. Your perspective always makes me smile.
    Visiting you from the #fmf linkup #15
    ~Lisa

December 1, 2017

Oh, yes! Lisa, do pick up the camera again! I’d love to see, share, learn and be inspired by you too. I just sent a request to follow you on Instagram 🙂

December 1, 2017

I love online connections (I’m looking at YOU!) 😉 But, I often wish we could just sit down and hang out – I wonder how much deeper our conversations would go? Such a reminder to feed into our physical, real-life friends & neighbors.

December 1, 2017

Me too, Annie! I would so much enjoy that.

5. Hopeful50 said:

Hey Deb, love that song. I think you hit the heads of many nails in your post. Good stuff. #25

It’s a good one, Susan. Thanks for your encouragement, friend 🙂

6. Lesley said:

I love online community but, I agree, nothing beats that face to face connection. I’ve been taking a short break from being online this week to allow me to focus properly on the people around me and it has definitely been beneficial. I just wish some of my online friends were closer as it would be great to have that community with some of you too!

December 1, 2017

It can be a challenge to navigate the two, Lesley. You’re wise to take a step back when needed.

December 3, 2017
  7. Tara said:

So true. Online community is great but those of us who are part of them would so much rather be face to face.

Right, Tara. To have our cake and eat it too 😉

December 3, 2017
  8. Love that worship song and perfect for this prompt today. I agree that we forget to be nearer to people in this internet world.
    Blessings
    Janis
    #49 FMF

December 1, 2017

Janis, I’ve loved that song from when I first heard it years ago. Thanks for adding to the conversation here.

December 3, 2017
  9. Such a thought provoking post, Debbie. May we be mindful to connect deeply with those around us, investing into the relationships God has placed us into. A wise word for us all.

December 1, 2017

Thanks, Joanne. I don’t want to discount the value of online friendship. They need tending as well.

December 3, 2017
  10. Online community is a lifeline for me; I can no longer hang out with people, because it’s uncomfortable for everyone involved that speech is difficult, breath is difficult, and movement is excruciatingly painful. People don’t like to see that, and I don’t lie to show it, even to my wife.

Here in the pixelated quadrant of the universe, I can be whole and articulate. I can be the best part of who I was, and you need not see the worst.

Which, coincidentally, I wrote about for FMF yesterday.

#1 at FMF this week.

December 2, 2017

Andrew, I am most thankful for the connectivity we have through social media and technology in general. I have a lot of family out west that I’ve barely known but we can at least see parts of our lives through Facebook. I definitely understand the blessing it is for you. We’re grateful it gives that to you.

December 3, 2017
  11. Anita Ojeda said:

Debbie, I get it, but I also resist what you say ;). Maybe because I’m an introvert, and the online community is perfect for meeting people on my own terms…which just sounds plain selfish, doesn’t it!? I think there’s a balance to be had, too. I try to connect personally with those who live and work around me, and my family members, of course, but those online communities provide fellowship with people I would never meet otherwise because I live in an isolated area. It’s so good to gather with a community that ‘gets’ me–even if it is on line.

December 3, 2017

Anita, I’m so glad you chimed in. We’re all wired so differently. For me, there’s a big temptation to hide behind the online community and, for me, that’s not always the best. I need both in my life. I love the community I’ve experienced via social media groups. But I can’t let it keep me from pushing myself in ‘real’ life settings.

December 3, 2017