I Will Not Let You Go!

There are two songs competing in my head:

Please, release me let me go

VS

I will not let you go

The first song is one I remember from, I think, one of those old K-Tell commercials advertising records (if you remember those). Those are the only words I know from the country song.

The other lyrics are from a song very familiar to me. Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody seems to have garnered a popularity that extends far beyond it’s 70’s release. There are two voices singing in a tug-of-war. One pleading to be let go and the other defiantly proclaiming he will not let go.

It’s a familiar internal battle. Anger at the silliest of things, things I can’t change or control, mount in my head. Somewhere in the distant corners of my mind are soothing words saying “release and let it go“. Often those sage words can’t be heard over my pride until I’m nearly undone.

I get ridiculously peeved at the morning traffic. Or at the traffic lights! Frustration over internal bureaucracy seems more justified but, again, my ire will not change what is.

And so the duel goes, day after day until I can sit in calm and give rational thought to my actions.

Losing my cool over congested traffic is not useful nor helpful. I need to follow the words of the first song and practice releasing and letting go.

Things that seem unjust or without merit are harder. Letting go isn’t always the answer but neither is letting them get to me in ways that cause me to lash out in angry words. I need to find a way to use my voice in helpful ways to create beneficial change. Or at least contribute to the conversation.

I’m not a quiet kind of person. For some crazy reason, I think my opinion matters. The key is to release my words with grace. And then to let them go with equal amounts of grace. If I can do that, the anger and frustration will also be released. And that’s what I really want to let go.

1. Hopeful50 said:

A quote that really helps me about keeping my opinion to myself, “IF you have no responsibility to the matter, then you need not have an opinion about it.” I cannot tell you how many times that has sealed my flapping lips.

April 6, 2018
  2. Janis Cox said:

Debby,
    It is very hard to let go of control and let God take over. I’m still learning it too. I want to do my thing even when I hear Him say – stop. I still feel compelled to write for Him but I know I need to take a break. That’s my release.
    Blessings
    Janis
    #16 FMF

April 6, 2018

Letting go of control is a daily practice, isn’t it Janice? Thanks for your words.

April 7, 2018
  3. Gabriele said:

Your writing is always so good and encouraging. I can really relate to the duel between letting go and clinging with all your might.

April 6, 2018

Thank you, Gabriele. Encouraging is one of my goals. I’m glad it hit the mark with you.

April 7, 2018
  4. Tara said:

Grace….yes!

April 6, 2018
  5. please release me let me go was a popular song in the 60’s or early 70’s. i remember it well:) i tho’t of Jesus promise that He is going to hold us tightly in His hand. so encouraging to know that my ability to hold onto Him is which is not very powerful, is not what will keep me, but rather His ability to hold onto me! now that is encouraging for sure! john spoke about that so often! i love it!

April 6, 2018
  6. Myriah Mae said:

I need to learn to release and let go when I get angry over silly things…I know my husband would appreciate it!

April 6, 2018
  7. Lesley said:

Letting go of anger in the right way is not easy. Finding a way to do it with grace is so important. I like how you describe the battle- and now I have Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in my head! 🙂

April 7, 2018

Haha. I had to get an adapter called Thunderbolt today and it put the song in my head again! You’re welcome, Lesley 😉

April 7, 2018