Learning from Limitations

Our limits tell us important things about ourselves.

They help us draw lines for margin.

They pave the way for vulnerability.

They show us what we aren’t able to do and that

can be just as important as what we are able to do.

Emily Freeman

I had tech issue I needed help resolving. Whenever I’ve taken my Mac into Apple I’ve usually felt exposed. This time was no different.

The problem was with some software. Gus, the tech support guy, asked where the program was on my laptop. Where? Uh…I don’t know. Found out again!

I went to my default answer which is “I just know how to make things look pretty. I don’t know how it works.” (Big smile to tech people)

The thing is, I learned something. I’m a little bit smarter about how this program works and in not installing updates so quickly.

Limitations are frustrating. Sometimes humiliating. These words from Emily remind us of the opportunity for growth they present. And growth is rarely without discomfort.

How have your limitations helped you be vulnerable?

What have you learned about yourself from your limitations?

The above photo is available as a free download from me for you on Unsplash.

1. Linda Stoll said:

I’m so happy to see you spreading your creative wings at Unsplash, Debby. Lovely, lovely.

April 10, 2018

Thank you, Linda. It’s a good creative outlet for me.

April 11, 2018
  2. Tombeetlebailey said:

As you know I’ve loss the ability to use my legs to a great degree. Talk about limitations. But it has forcr mr to stop & literally be still. Thank you for your encouragement to recognize that limitations (thorns) have a purpose too.
    I wrote a post based on The Eagles song “Take It To The Limit” that hits on this same topic (it isn’t scheduled to be published until May). Because of my limitations in one area I am able to sit j write a lot more than I woukd otherwise.

April 10, 2018

I know that’s especially difficult for you, Tom. You’ve been a physically active person most of your life. I’m glad you’re able to look at the positive side of it. That’s what a relationship with Christ will do for us – perspective.

April 11, 2018

You have me thinking, Debby… What limitations can I use better? How can I learn from them?

April 10, 2018

I’ll be interested to see your discoveries, Annie. I suspect you’re already learning from them in some surprising ways.

April 11, 2018
  4. Lesley said:

That’s a great quote, Debby, and I love your photo too! It is important to learn from our limitations. I think the most important thing I’ve learned is that we need other people. None of us can do it all by ourselves.

April 11, 2018

That’s a lesson for all of us to learn, Lesley. We weren’t designed to do this thing called life on our own. We need each other and we need Jesus.

April 11, 2018
  5. Debby,
    What a lovely photo — I love old books and this tulip is so pretty — (my sister even carried a bouquet of tulips at her wedding) and I love them! Don’t our limitations look more obvious when we have technology issues?! Walking into the Apple store is intimidating so that’s why I take my 25-yr-old techie friend with me to do all the talking! 🙂 Still working on learning from my limitations and I figure it will be a lifelong process! xoxo

April 11, 2018

Tulips have such a graceful way about them don’t they, Valerie? I’m pretty sure our granddaughter will be helping us in the tech department soon enough 😉 Learning is definitely a life-long process. Not a bad one at all.

April 11, 2018