God’s Purpose Might Not Be What You Think

God’s purpose for your life will always be connected to people.

We think our purpose is about the big thing. The job. The calling. The degree.

The big thing is people. All people. Our purpose is to love them. All people. It’s not easy. It’s not easy to love the men hanging around the gas station with his hand out for spare change.

It’s not easy loving the man who boasts about having several children but hasn’t seen them in years.

The pastor who falls from grace, the father who didn’t love you, the noisy neighbor or the quiet neighbor with noisy dogs.

People aren’t easy to love. We’re a mess. But we are why Jesus came. We are why He died and rose again. People were his mission. We are God’s purpose.

When we’re arguing over 2nd Amendment rights and Roe V Wade may we not forget that our purpose isn’t to shout louder than the other side. It isn’t to take our toys and go away mad. To be connected to people we must be present. We must listen with our hearts as much as our ears. Because that is God’s purpose for all who say they’re his followers.

How does this look in your life?

What’s your biggest challenge in connecting to people?

The above image and others are available as free downloads on Unsplash.

1. Hopeful50 said:

My biggest problem to connecting with people? People. Where is your FMF post? xo

April 13, 2018

I needed this reminder today… I’m itching to step into the next thing but am remembering that my little people are always my thing. 😉

April 13, 2018

My little people are now big people, Annie, and they’re still my thing. But it’s also grown beyond what I could have imagined.

April 15, 2018
  3. Linda Stoll said:

When all is said and done, I’m guessing the simple question will be, ‘did you love well?’ Everything else will just fade into oblivion.

This, a beautiful offering you’ve given us, Debby. Bless you, friend …

April 16, 2018

That is the aim isn’t it, Linda? To love well. As the scripture tells us, it’s the only thing that will last. Thanks for sharing your voice here. You are always an encouragement.

April 16, 2018
  4. My bigest problem to connecting with people is patience and empathy… Though i must say iam doing better (with God’s help) in this the past 5 years 🙂
    Iam a new, big fun of your blog and words of wisdom and iam looking forward to all new articles of yours. Thank you for sharing them with us! Greetings from Greece!
    God bless you!

Lia

April 17, 2018

People can challenge my patience too, Lia. Thanks for stopping by and saying hi. Greece is a beautiful country!

April 17, 2018