Things I Didn’t Want to Know

Photo by Mike Marquez on Unsplash

I bought the bottle of juice because I’m trying to include healthier options in our refrigerator. The combination of flavors was one of my favorites and it was a thicker blend more like a smoothy.

Not until I’d drank several servings did I look at the ingredient list. I’m sure I heard some sort of music of doom when I saw it: 28% sugar

So shoot me because I didn’t care.

These days you can’t go into a restaurant without reading the calories of each item. Whose idea was it to include things I didn’t want to know?

When you know better you do better. At least that’s the hope. And, yes, I have made different menu choices because of this added information.

At times, I’ve also avoided digging deeper for information because I didn’t want the accountability. Or, I don’t want to invest more emotionally.

We have choices. We can be the ostrich with its head in the sand oblivious to what is going on around us. OR, we can be informed. The danger is, information might make you care. And caring is tiring and burdensome. To paraphrase Mother Teresa, care anyway.

What do you choose?

Linking up with Five-Minute Friday

SaveSave

11 Comments

  1. I know, right? Healthy food loaded with sugar. You can always try the green juice at Costco. They were offering taste tests and I couldn’t stand it because it had no sugar. My husband loved it and bought some. I am working hard to like it. LOL!

    May 11, 2018
    Reply
    • Debby Hudson said:

      Yes, I do like my sugar Karen. Hard habit to break. I don’t even drink juice that much so maybe that’s good 😉

      May 11, 2018
      Reply
  2. And also- juice sugar, while still sugar, has at least a degree of nutritional value, versus say, a coke. Still a healthier choice. I get that there are two very distinct camps here, but honestly- Jesus is pretty clear when tells us not to expect others to conform to our way of eating, when we feel we aren’t supposed to eat something. That what may be a restriction the spirit has convicted us of, may not be for someone else. At the end of the day, everything in moderation…

    I totally get the point of your post- and correlation with choice. I just get so frustrated with the judgement. This post, seen by the right person (or, wrong???) on twitter would cause a firestorm of the worst kind of insults… WHY DO PEOPLE CHOOSE THAT??? (that is where the post took me. Maybe I need some juice or something. Ha ha…)

    May 11, 2018
    Reply
    • Debby Hudson said:

      Haha…There’s no winning in the social media wars today, Misty. I get in enough trouble on my own as I overthink way too many things 😉

      May 11, 2018
      Reply
  3. Gabriele said:

    Care anyway, even when it is tiresome and a burden? That is a big message. I have a few things I’m unwillingly to acknowledge. What you don’t know can’t hurt you. Right? Ooops, thats a lie.I will sit and think about these ideas you have presented. They smell true.

    May 11, 2018
    Reply
    • Debby Hudson said:

      Maybe caring isn’t tiresome for everyone, Gabriele, but it can wear me out. But…I can’t seem to stop. I just have to make sure what I decide to care deeply about is the right thing… what God would want. Some things aren’t worth it at all.

      May 11, 2018
      Reply
  4. Annie Rim said:

    I had to take a break from reading books about where our food comes from because it became too much… 😉 Ah, the more you know! Love your reminder to distinguish between knowing and caring – that’s a tough one for me.

    May 11, 2018
    Reply
  5. Hopeful50 said:

    I definitely need to KNOW. However, saying that I still do stupid, dumb, unhealthy things at times even knowing full well it’s not good for me. 95% of the time my knowledge dictates my choices. The other 5%? Down the drain!

    May 11, 2018
    Reply
  6. Contrarian view…I cared about calorie counts and fat content for years…and now, unable to tolerate so much as a donut, or a good pizzeria pizza, I regret being that focused.

    Live relaxed, enjoy the occasional whatever, and balance the indulgence in other ays. I can’t do that any more; I wish I had been wiser, and not as smart.

    May 11, 2018
    Reply
    • Debby Hudson said:

      I’m sorry that even the enjoyment of food has been lost for you, Andrew. Even in the midst of your limitations you’ve not allowed them to limit learning from the hard things. And you push forth to share – thank you!

      May 12, 2018
      Reply
  7. Tara said:

    I’ve been learning a lot about food lately too. I’m trying to eat healthier and especially cut out/reduce my sugar intake. It’s amazing how much sugar is in our foods. I’m way down in the 65 spot this week.

    May 14, 2018
    Reply

Leave a Reply