Playing the Game of Secrets

Our son-in-law was planning a surprise Mother’s Day getaway for our daughter. He let our granddaughter in on the secret. I imagine there were plenty of smiles and knowing looks between them leading up to the reveal.

A few days before Mother’s Day, our grandaughter sweetly said to her mama, “I wish I could spend more time with you on Mother’s Day. But I hope you have a good time in Charleston.” OOPS!

The secret was out!

The 10-year old felt awful having spoiled the surprise. Our daughter assured her it was okay. It was an accident.

Surprises make fun secrets. We like being part of the buildup. We anticipate the smiles and joys. It’s a lot like opening a beautifully wrapped gift.

Those are the good secrets. But there are ones that are harder to carry yet we can’t seem to let them out.

Working in our community of people who struggle with addiction and other issues we have a different take on secrets. We remind them and ourselves: we’re as sick as our secrets.

Things we regret. Things done against us. Past acts. Desires we can’t seem to change. Too many carry the weight of secrets that can burden us with shame and even depression.

These are the secrets that need to be told, often to a professional.

God gives grace to things revealed in his light. His mercy covers us and his love chases after us.

He forgives your sins—every one. He heals your diseases—every one. He redeems you from hell—saves your life! He crowns you with love and mercy—a paradise crown. He wraps you in goodness—beauty eternal. He renews your youth—you’re always young in his presence. Psalm 103:3-5 MSG

Linking up with Five-Minute Friday weekly word prompt.

SaveSave

1. I wrote about something so similar, how secrets can be too heavy to carry. Thank you for sharing your sweet story of your granddaughter.

May 18, 2018

Yes, we were on a bit of the same path today, Sabrina. Secrets seem to have many sides 😉

2. Gabriele said:

What a powerful phrase, We are as sick as our secrets. I bet your daughter loved her surprise getaway.

May 18, 2018

She did Gabriele. And she was glad to find out a little in advance 😉 I’ve been having trouble leaving a comment on your blog. I keep trying but so far it’s not working. Here’s what I tried to post on your blog today: Oh, I so totally agree with the oversharing that takes place on social media! As the expression goes: “Is nothing sacred?” I appreciate your perspective. And a lovely quote at the end.

3. Hopeful50 said:

I do hope they had a wonderful weekend in Charleston – I do enjoy visiting that old city. I just read somewhere on a blog: The Secret and Sacred are sisters. That’s good, isn’t it?

May 18, 2018

It’s just a few hours from where they live in Jacksonville and their second time to go since they enjoyed it so much the first time. Yes, Susan, I saw that too – the Sacred and Secret are sisters. I think it was on Gabriele’s blog. I like that.

4. Anita Ojeda said:

Thank you for making the distinction! Some secrets–birthday presents and Mother’s Day surprises, are great. Others wound and cripple us.

5. Tara said:

Your poor granddaughter….I can just imagine how awful she must of felt. Her mom a right though…it’s ok. It’s the thought that counts. And your distinction of different kinds of secrets is so important. I’m in the 4 spot this week.

May 18, 2018

I know, Tara. I feel for her too. She’ll understand better as she gets older.

May 18, 2018
  6. Addiction is so hard, and you’re right, there are so many secrets within that world. I love the thoughtfulness of your son in law! <3

May 18, 2018

Our son-in-law is great that way. I know our daughter appreciates it. Thanks for stopping by Misty.

7. Cindy said:

I just love the line “God gives grace to things revealed in His light”. What a comforting thought. Cindy #fmf

It’s comforting, isn’t it, Cindy? Amazing grace 🙂

8. Lesley said:

So true- there are some secrets that are fun and others that really need to be let out into the light before they eat us up inside! I love how the Message expresses that quote from Psalm 103!

May 19, 2018

There are so many times the Message says it just like my heart needs to hear it, Lesley.

May 21, 2018